Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] SeaTalk hs switch with axiom pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Needing to confirm some research I have completed. I am replacing 2 E120s and 1 E80 that are networked thru the SeaTalk hs switch E55058 with 3 axiom pros. As I understand I can use the SeaTalk hs in place and connect to each of the 3 axioms via an adapter A80160 and would not have a need for a backbone as a magnum radar and weather unit would go thru the switch and my transducers would go to one of the axiom units. In addition, I understand that the sr100 is fully functional with the axiom pros. I appreciate your help.
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Never II Nauti,

Q1. would not have a need for a backbone
A1. This may or may not be so. While it is true that a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone would not be involved in interfacing the MFDs, radar transducer, Sirius Satellite Weather Receiver, and fishfinder transducer to the system, other compatible devices within the system which lack an Ethernet communications interface (ex. GPS sensor, autopilot, instruments, etc.) would typically need to be interfaced to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which in turn would be interfaced to the system's Data Master MFD.

Q2. I understand that the sr100 is fully functional with the axiom pros.
A2. This is an incorrect statement. Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs are exclusively compatible with the SR200 and the SR150 which it had replaced.
Chuck. I have reviewed my info and adjusted based on your feedback. Can you have a look at the wiring plan and questions?

Thanks again.
Never II Nauti,

Your diagram attempts to show how a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone would be used to interface the Data Master MFD to the engine gateways. Please click here to view a document concerning how to construct a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone from Raymarine's SeaTalkng networking components.

Many older Icom VHF radios required that the receive NMEA 0183 data feature the $GP NMEA 0183 Talker ID. If the system will utilize an external GPS sensor (typically recommended if at least one of the system's MFDs will not be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead), then please click here to view a FAQ addressing how the Icom VHF radio may be supplied with GPS data from the system.

Q1. Do I run into any possible data challenges as set up?
A1. Not really ... see the comments above.

Q2. Can you give me guidance on best place to connect the autopilot?
A2. I would recommend using the NMEA 0183 communications interface of the AP25 to interface it to the system. This may be accomplished in either of the following two ways:

- interface the NMEA 0183 input and output terminals of the AP25 to an NMEA 0183 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO, etc.) which in turn will be interfaced to a spur socket within the system's properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

- interface the NMEA 0183 input and output terminals of the AP25 to the NMEA 0183 Port 1 input and output leads of any one of the system's MFDs (excluding the one that will be interfaced to the VHF radio).

Q3. Can you tell me if my GPS antenna from the E120 is usable? Connect to where, if so? (Sorry, I do not have a model number)
A3. Unfortunately, it would be necessary to know the make/model of GPS sensor which is presently installed onboard the vessel. Raystar 125 GPS Sensors may be adapted (with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter) to be interfaced to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Raystar 130 / 150 GPS Sensors may be directly interfaced as a spur to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q4. If I replace GPS with an RS150, where would I connect it?
A4. See the response to Q3. The SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone must feature a sufficient number of spur sockets to permit each device to be interfaced as an individual spur to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
On the GPS antenna, I will assume it is a rs-125 as it appears to be plugged into the SeaTalk plug in the data master E120. I will adapt it and put on the SeaTalkNG backbone.

Thanks again.
Never II Nauti,

A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would then be installed as a backbone component of the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The currently installed Raystar 125 GPS Sensor's Cable would spliced to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit as follows:
- splice the red and green leads of the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor to the red lead of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable
- splice the yellow lead of the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor to the yellow lead of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable
- splice brown and black/bare leads of the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor to the black/bare lead of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable

Then plug the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable into the yellow socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
Hate to ask a follow up. But what if I wanted to go into a NMEA 2000 backbone and not SeaTalkng?
Never II Nauti,

Q. what if I wanted to go into a NMEA 2000 backbone and not SeaTalkng?
A. A NMEA 2000 backbone may be constructed from SeaTalkng networking component. If option to use third party NMEA 2000 networking components, you would need to adapt a SeaTalkng backbone cable with a Maretron field installable DeviceNet connector to permit the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to be interface to the third party NMEA 2000 backbone.
Reference URL's