Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Sounder modules
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently needed to replace my 600 watt transducer on my system with an E80 mfd, using a DSM300. Upon recommendation of airmar I went with a 1000 watt B164 transducer because I generally fish depths over 900 feet. I do not seem to get any deeper readings with the new transducer than I did with 600 watt transducer. Would using a cp370 module enable me to see deeper levels or would it just give me better clarity? I previously upgraded to cp370 with my 600 watt transducer and was very pleased with its performance but unfortunately the unit was stolen and I had to revert back to the DSM300 but if I could see deeper depths with the cp370 or another module with my 1000 watt transducer I would consider buying another.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum egavasm,

Should there be a fault with the DSM300 such that it is not recognizing the transducer as a 1kW transducer, then power output will be limited to 600W and depth performance would be similar to that of a 600W transducer. One of the failure points of the DSM300 would be a failure to recognize that it was interfaced to a 1kW transducer. Some relatively significant improvements in sonar processing were also incorporated in the CP370 which improved its depth and sensitivity beyond the capabilities of the DSM300. Accordingly, it would indeed be worth considering replacement of the DSM300 with a CP370. Please additionally not that we have received anecdotal feedback from users specifying that the maximum depth performance of tilted element transducers is generally less than that of a transducer of similar design which is designed with an element which shoots straight downwards.
I appreciate the advice and will probably buy the cp370 unless you think there is a better match for that transducer. Prior to connecting the DSM300 to the new transducer I looked to see the choices of transducers that the DSM300 showed as transducer choices and it did not show the B164 however when I plugged the B164 into the DSM and then powered it on, it immediately gave me that as well as other 1000 watt transducers as compatible choices to pick. Would that mean that the DSM300 was recognizing that it was connecting to a 1000 watt transducer? Also, what would be the depths I should see to in the clear waters of the carribean.
egavasm,

Airmar has specified 1,800' for the 50kHz frequency and 800' for 200kHz frequency for the B160 under optimal conditions
And this question: Prior to connecting the DSM300 to the new transducer I looked to see the choices of transducers that the DSM300 showed as transducer choices and it did not show the B164 however when I plugged the B164 into the DSM and then powered it on, it immediately gave me that as well as other 1000 watt transducers as compatible choices to pick. Would that mean that the DSM300 was recognizing that it was connecting to a 1000 watt transducer?
egavasm,

Q. Prior to connecting the DSM300 to the new transducer I looked to see the choices of transducers that the DSM300 showed as transducer choices and it did not show the B164 however when I plugged the B164 into the DSM and then powered it on, it immediately gave me that as well as other 1000 watt transducers as compatible choices to pick. Would that mean that the DSM300 was recognizing that it was connecting to a 1000 watt transducer?
A. Yes. Essentially, the DSM300 will make a determination about whether a 600W or 1kW 50kHz/200kHz transducer has been interfaced to the DSM based upon the sensed resistance. In a nutshell, 1kW and 2kW 50kHz/200kHz transducers which have been designed for use with Raymarine fishfinding products feature a sense line which presents a 3kOhm resistance to the fishfinding product. Should the Raymarine fishfinding product not detect 3kOhm resistance on the transducer's sense lead, then the Raymarine fishfinding product will assume that the transducer is a 600W transducer. The MFD will corresponding provide 600W or 1kW/2kW transducer lists to choose from based upon the sensed resistance.
Reference URL's