Raymarine forum

Full Version: [TG11] SeaTalk1 to NMEA 2000
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm a new owner of a 2005 Beneteau that has an existing Raymarine Seatalk1 Network.

All the instruments are running through the Seatalk1 Network, I would like to add a NEMA 2000 Network for two way communication adding a NEMA 2000 AIS transponder and a NMEA 2000 Ethernet Gateway to send all the data to an onboard router.

The router will have Internet and wired webcams connected on the local network and if I understand correctly I can then share the NEMA 2000 and SeaTalk1 data over the Router's Wifi to laptops and tablets?

Does the attached diagram look correct?

I'll need power for both the SeaTalk Converter and the NMEA 2000 Network?

Thanks, Neil
Hello Neil,
  • The NMEA2000 specification says only use 1 power supply point (unless every one is fully isolated which is not usually the case). Since you will already have power coming into your ST1 network (ST60s) which will pass through the ST1-STNG convertor, do not add extra 12V supplies into either the convertor or other NMEA2000 cabling. Doing so can cause network reliability problems. You should also make sure that you connect yellow-shield but not red at the C80, because the C80 is also another point of potential power supply to the network. Incidentally, the C80 only has a single ST1 port rather than the two showing in your drawing.
  • The ST1-STNG convertor cannot convert AIS data. In your system as-drawn, you will not get AIS data on the C80. This is because the ST1 network was designed long before AIS existed and there is no support at all in the ST1 language for AIS data. To get AIS into a C-series or E-series Classic you must use NMEA0183.
  • If your C80's NMEA0183 port is already in use (usually to provide GPS data to a DSC VHF), you will need a multi-speed NMEA0183 multiplexer in order to be able to get AIS data into the C80 at the required 38,400 baud rate and still get standard 4800 NMEA0183 to the VHF (the Classic displays have only a single comms device which operates at a single speed for both input and output.) Raymarine AIS transceivers include a multiplexer to make this connection easy, but third-party may not.
  • You should join your STNG and standard NMEA2000 cabling via a blue (backbone) connector rather than a white spur connector. It appears in your drawing as if you have 3 backbone terminators, 1 in Devicenet/NMEA2000 style and 2 in STNG. If you don't join backbone-backbone (using STNG blue cabling) then you inevitably end up with either too many terminators or an empty blue backbone socket which is prone to a later misconnection, corrosion from condensation, or a short from something contacting the exposed (12V and data) pins in the empty socket.
  • I can't offer any opinion about sharing navigational data over Wifi to other devices, Raymarine no longer offers PC navigational software or interfaces. The gateway manufacturer will be able to advise you.

To simplify the connections, use a Raymarine AIS on NMEA0183 direct to the C80, forget the Devicenet T-pieces/network cabling entirely and connect the NMEA2000-ethernet gateway to a white spur socket on the ST1-STNG convertor via a Devicenet-STNG adaptor cable (Raymarine part A06075 (F Devicenet) or A06076 (M Devicenet)).

Regards,
Tom
Thanks Tom,

That's a big help, I didn't realize the Seatalk 2 was a different standard.

For a number of reasons I need to use the NMEA 2000 Transponder to output over Wifi so the NMEA 2000 Network will be necessary and I may put in a 0183 multiplexer later to get the AIS data to the plotter.

Does this updated diagram look correct?

I'll use the SeaTalk 1 to 
SeaTalkng 
converter 
cable off the exiting Junction Block with no power to the NMEA 2000 Network or E22158.
Hello Neil,

Yes, assuming that you do get 0183 AIS data into the C80 via a multiplexer at a later date, that works fine. Just be aware that there is not (unfortunately) an STNG Backbone (blue) to Devicenet adaptor cable accessory available, so you'll need to cut/join a standard backbone cable with a standard Devicenet cable. The wire colours will be the same.

Tom
So I would need to buy a blue STNG cable and a NMEA 2000 cable, cut them and then join the different ends?

Can I order just a blank STNG end?

How do I connect the wires from the two cables?

My background is in Networking and you don't join cables, you put a new end on the cable.

Thanks
We don't offer field-attachable STNG (or any other) connector because we don't want to encourage re-termination of cables in a marine environment, for reasons of both EMC compliance and environmental (moisture, vibration) tolerance and reliability - we wouldn't expect them to be reliably and consistently crimped using proper tools, by proper techs, as RJ45 ought to be.

Unfortunately in the particular (and relatively rare) case where you want to use a mixed backbone of STNG and Devicenet cabling, I believe that joining the cables (or fitting a field-attachable Devicenet connector onto an STNG backbone) is by far preferable to using a Devicenet-STNG spur adaptor cable plugged into an STNG spur socket, for the reasons I mentioned.

NMEA2000 is low-speed and deliberately robust in its signalling (compared to ethernet - CANbus was designed for industrial and automotive applications in very harsh environments) and you can get away with a cable join that would not work at all on ethernet.

Tom
Can I send the NMEA 0183 Data from the AIS receiver at 4800 Baud to the C80 connecting it through the NMEA 0183 input on the Autopilot?

Can I use Cat5e network cable to send the data or is there a better type of cable?
Hello Neil,

I would think that Cat5e would work ok for cabling, but as far as the other question goes, no, AIS data cannot be sent at 4800 baud (well, to be literally accurate, you could send AIS messages but you would run out of bandwidth in high-traffic areas and for this reason AIS messages are not present in the standard 4800-baud NMEA spec and will be ignored by our MFDs at that speed.) See the 3rd of my bullet-points before:
Quote:If your C80's NMEA0183 port is already in use (usually to provide GPS data to a DSC VHF), you will need a multi-speed NMEA0183 multiplexer in order to be able to get AIS data into the C80 at the required 38,400 baud rate and still get standard 4800 NMEA0183 to the VHF (the Classic displays have only a single comms device which operates at a single speed for both input and output.) Raymarine AIS transceivers include a multiplexer to make this connection easy, but third-party may not.

Regards,
Tom
Thanks, I had those reversed.

I'm adding a transceiver and it has NMEA 2000 along with NMEA 0183 at both 38,400 and 4800.

Using the Seatalk converter will the NMEA 2000 output reach the C80?

If I need to use the NMEA 0183 can I connect with the 38,400 baud rate at the input on the Autopilot that will l allow it back to the C80?

(01-20-20 06:57 PM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote: [ -> ]...you will need a multi-speed NMEA0183 multiplexer in order to be able to get AIS data into the C80 at the required 38,400 baud rate and still get standard 4800 NMEA0183 to the VHF (the Classic displays have only a single comms
A Seatalk1-SeatalkNG convertor will convert most standard navigation data from STNG to the C80's Seatalk, but not AIS (Seatalk was developed before AIS existed.)
The pilot cannot read 38400 NMEA, only 4800.

The only way to get AIS data into a C80 is directly-connected 38400 NMEA0183. This could come directly from the AIS or via a suitable 3rd-party 2000<->0183 interface.
Reference URL's