Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Axiom 9 interface to ST60 instruments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello

I am awaiting the arrival of of my new Axiom 9 and have starting planning the installation.
Is it possible to interface my older ST60 instruments? i currently have an ST5000 autopilot, ST60 Depth and ST60 speed/log.

I believe they have the older SeaTalk communication system.

Thanks
Kirk
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Kirk,

A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit would generally be used to support integration of legacy products with the current generation of equipment. However, while ST4000+/ST5000+ autopilots and ST60 instruments are supported for use with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, ST4000/ST5000 autopilot are not supported for use with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. It is typically recommended that a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) be used to interface the ST4000/ST5000 generation of autopilots to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the Axiom MFD will also be interfaced as a spur. The aforementioned SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be installed as a backbone component of the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
Chuck, Thanks very much for your reply!
I have since been to the boat and can update the information re: existing install. I have attached a diagram. As you can see, the autopilot is in fact an ST6001+ and the course computer is a 150G AST.

Q1: with this new information can you recommend the best and hopefully the simplest way to add the Axiom 9. All 3 instruments are mounted at the helm and a new NavPod will be added to house the Axiom also at the helm. The 150G is below deck and within 12 feet (cable length) of the helm.

Thanks very much!
Kirk
Kirk,

Fortunately, the 150G Autopilot Course Computer is compatible with Raymarine's SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how the legacy equipment would be interfaced to the Axiom MFD via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Although not considered to be a best installation practice, if seeking to minimize the amount of rewiring, then the ST6001 and ST60 instruments may remain daisy chained to one another and to the currently used SeaTalk port of the course computer. The course computer's second SeaTalk port may then be used to interfaced it to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalk Converter ... pay heed to the direction within the FAQ to not connect the SeaTalk cable's red lead to the autopilot course computer's red SeaTalk terminal.
Chuck

Thanks for the quick and concise response, I think I've got a clear picture now of the path forward as i will go with this simplified method you have suggested. 3 follow up questions.

1) can I clip off the press fit 3 pin connector from the kit supplied yellow connector cable in order to connect it to the ST (a) on the 150G? (keeping in mind also that I will not connect the red lead)?

2) Do i leave the 12V - 15Amp circuit connected to the ST60 Speed instrument? There is also power coming from the ST (b) cable to the ST6001+ .
As the system is wired now I can leave the Autopilot switch/breaker turned off and still have the other the ST units powered from the separate supply. (this is not a big deal as I normally have both powered up anyway but i would like to keep it if possible.)

3) Is there a cable available to connect directly from the ST/Stng converter -white connector to the Axiom input? It will need to be approx. 12'

Thanks again
Kirk

Axiom arrives this week - cant wait to get it installed>

Thanks again
Kirk,

Q1. can I clip off the press fit 3 pin connector from the kit supplied yellow connector cable in order to connect it to the ST (a) on the 150G? (keeping in mind also that I will not connect the red lead)?
A1. Yes

Q2. Do i leave the 12V - 15Amp circuit connected to the ST60 Speed instrument? There is also power coming from the ST (b) cable to the ST6001+ .
As the system is wired now I can leave the Autopilot switch/breaker turned off and still have the other the ST units powered from the separate supply. (this is not a big deal as I normally have both powered up anyway but i would like to keep it if possible.)
A2. The SeaTalk bus should not be powered from two ends. I suggest the following minor changes to the current powering scheme. The SeaTalk cable connecting the ST6001 to the ST60 Depth should be cut and then spliced back together, leaving the red leads unspliced and insulated to prevent shorting. With the change, the instrument circuit power will supply power to the ST60 instruments, while leaving the ST6001 autopilot control head OFF unless the circuit supplying power to the autopilot control head is switched ON ... i.e. why have the autopilot control head switched ON unless the autopilot course computer's circuit has also switched ON???

Q3. Is there a cable available to connect directly from the ST/Stng converter -white connector to the Axiom input? It will need to be approx. 12'.
A3. Yes. Like most NMEA 2000 devices using DeviceNet connectors, the NMEA 2000 socket of Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom MFDs feature a DeviceNet (M) socket. As indicated with the FAQ found here, one the following adapters may be used to interface the product as a spur to a SeaTalkng backbone:
- A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F);
- A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F);
- A06082 DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable.
Thanks Chuck

Q3 great answer I'm clear on now on Q3.

Follow-up on Q2 - If I change my mind on keeping the Inst power separate from the Autopilot power, IE go with a single supply point could i simply pull off and insulate the red lead at the ST (b) port on the 150G ? I'm just considering this if it is an option.

New Question
Q4. in the future to add an AIS or VHF for example could I extend the backbone by using a STng starter kit?

Kirk
Kirk,

Q1. If I change my mind on keeping the Inst power separate from the Autopilot power, IE go with a single supply point could i simply pull off and insulate the red lead at the ST (b) port on the 150G?
A1. Yes.

Q2. in the future to add an AIS or VHF for example could I extend the backbone by using a STng starter kit?
A2. Technically, the answer is yes. I generally favor purchasing individual SeaTalkng networking components to permit greater flexibility in how the backbone is constructed and to eliminate redundant purchases (i.e. a SeaTalkng Power Cable and SeaTalkng Termination Plugs are already included within the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit).
OK great tip Chuck!

I'm well on my way to understanding how it will all go together. I just ordered the all the components i need for this first phase and just received the NavPod and Axiom today! I ordered an RCR too, it looks like it will come in handy and can be used as a charging point for phones etc.

Hopefully no more questions ...... ha

Kirk
You're welcome.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's