Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Bridging NMEA183 AIS to SeatalkNg network
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running an Axiom Pro MFD which has an Icom AIS transceiver connected to the Axiom Pro NMEA183 connection. I have a Yacht Device YDWG-02R wifi gateway connected to the SeatalkNg network. I'm trying to get the AIS data on a laptop via the YDWG-02 wifi gateway but it doesn't appear that this data is being broadcast.

Does the Axiom Pro bridge data from the NMEA183 inputs to the SeatalkNg network? If so is there a setting which needs to be set to get the data bridged?

Thanks
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum

Q. Does the Axiom Pro bridge data from the NMEA183 inputs to the SeatalkNg network? If so is there a setting which needs to be set to get the data bridged?
A. Negative. For applications such as this or for those seeking to have SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 devices receive AIS data, it would typically be recommended that the VHF radio / AIS transceiver be instead interfaced to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Should the VHF radio / AIS receiver not feature a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, then it would typically be recommended that the VHF radio / AIS receiver be instead interfaced to an NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device supporting NMEA 0183 AIS sentences (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS, etc.) which in turn would be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. A NMEA 2000 to WiFi data bridging device rather than a NMEA 0183 to WiFi data bridging device would then be recommended to support communications with an external device having a WiFi communications interface.
Chuck, ok thanks for the info, I suspected as much but didn't want to get additional hardware in case I was wrong. My VHF/AIS only has NMEA183 connections so I've ordered a Yacht Devices YDNG-03 NMEA183/2000 bridging gateway which should get me sorted.
You're welcome.
Reference URL's