Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Help me upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Raymarine Forum. I currently have a RD418D radar, e7d paired to an E66088 B60 transducer.

I am looking to begin the process of upgrading the MFD and Transducer. I am probably going to do this piece by piece for cost reasons.

1. Which 9" Axiom MFD do I need if I want to be able to take advantage of all of the capabilities in the future?

2. I believe the Axiom will work with my E66088 transducer with a certain adapter cord?

3. When I am ready to fully upgrade transducer which one will I need? My current transducer is located midway down on the starboard side, approx 12 degree deadrise.

4. If I am currently not able to hold bottom very well at tuna trolling speeds in approx 200 ft of water do I need to upgrade to a 1000kw transducer instead of a 600?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide, such a great resource to have access to this community :)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Hardyw,

Q1. Which 9" Axiom MFD do I need if I want to be able to take advantage of all of the capabilities in the future?
A1. An Axiom 9 RV MFD should be considered. If seeking to take the advantage of the greatest number of features supported within the MFD's Chart application, then a Navionics or C-Map chart card would be recommended for use with the system. Please note that any chart card which is presently used with your e7D may instead be used with the Axiom MFD.

Q2. I believe the Axiom will work with my E66088 transducer with a certain adapter cord?
A2. Yes. The A80488 Adapter Cable may be used to adapt the E66088 B60 transducer alone to the Axiom MFD to support the same type of fishfinder features which you presently have with your e7D MFD. If simultaneously installing a RV transducer(s), then the A80491 Y-Cable may be used to interface both a RV transducer(s) and your B60 to the system.

Q3. When I am ready to fully upgrade transducer which one will I need? My current transducer is located midway down on the starboard side, approx 12 degree deadrise.
A3. If seeking a thru hull transducer (for best performance), a T70318 RV-212 Bronze Through Hull Transducer Pack would be recommended.

Q4. If I am currently not able to hold bottom very well at tuna trolling speeds in approx 200 ft of water do I need to upgrade to a 1000kw transducer instead of a 600?
A4. Low power / high frequency CHIRP sonar, DownVision, and RealVision sonar supported by the RV transducer pair should be able to support operation in this depth. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Many will opt to additional install the B60 transducer outboard of the RV transducers to additionally support 50kHz/200kHz sonar imaging and support bottom tracking at higher speeds than may be supported by the RV transducers.
Chuck! Hugely helpful my man thank you so much! To have all that info in one place instead of having to research it all and compile is so helpful.

two follow up questions if you don't mind - If networking two 9" axioms together do I need to purchase two Axiom 9 RV MFDs or is there a slave unit I can link to my existing one (like the e97 and e95 used to be)?

Is there any additional hardware that needs to be purchased besides the 9" Axiom RV and transducers? LIke a sonar module / black box or anything like that?

Thanks again.
tHardyw,

Q1. If networking two 9" axioms together do I need to purchase two Axiom 9 RV MFDs or is there a slave unit I can link to my existing one (like the e97 and e95 used to be)?
A1. As long the MFD having RV fishfinder circuitry is switched ON whenever the system's other MFDs are switched ON, only one of the MFDs need have RV fishfinder circuitry.

Q2. Is there any additional hardware that needs to be purchased besides the 9" Axiom RV and transducers? LIke a sonar module / black box or anything like that?
A2. Yes. Unlike Axiom Pro MFDs, Axiom MFDs feature only one Ethernet communications port. Accordingly, each Axiom MFD would need to be interfaced to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. The Digital Radar Cable will likewise be unplugged form the e7D and will instead be connected to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch.

Should one of the MFDs not be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then an external GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor, etc.) may need to be added to the system. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Should the system not already feature a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the system's Data Master MFD and external GPS sensor may be interfaced, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a simple backbone may be constructed.
Reference URL's