Raymarine forum

Full Version: [LW11] ST1-STNG-N2K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I have been trying to find out how many and where the terminators should be placed when connecting STNG to N2K. I have made a drawing to explain my question, if anyone know the answer I would be very greatful.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Almare,

Please note that ST30 and ST50 instruments are not supported (untested) for use with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Raymarine has not tested a solution for use with ST30, ST50, and ST80 instruments. Were this installation to involve ST50+, ST40, or ST60 instruments, then the following would apply:

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is designed to be installed as a backbone component, rather than as a spur ... as is shown within your diagram. Additionally, within a properly constructed backbone, only two terminators will be used ... one each of the backbone's two end sockets. The installation may be corrected by:
- removing the SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet Cable connecting the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the third party networking components
- inserting a SeaTalkng blanking plug into the vacated SeaTalkng spur socket
- removing one of the SeaTalkng Termination Plugs from the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter
- removing the left-most third party terminator and T-connector
- following the directions within the FAQ referenced above to connect one of the backbone (blue) sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the backbone socket of the middle third party T-connector via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable and a Maretron Micro/Mid Field Attachable Connector.
I was att the boatfair in Gothenburg two weeks ago and bought my Axiom 9 and got the advise from the Raymarine representative to buy the ST1-STNG converter to get the speed and depth into my Axiom 9 from the ST30. This is also why I did not get the Axiom 9 RV model. The next thing was to choose weather or not to use the STNG hardware or the N2K hardware for the network. Since my new Axiom came with the N2K plug and not the STNG I choose the N2K network. I called the Raymarine wholesaler in Billdal Gothenburg Sweden to se how I should connect STNG and N2K together and got the advice shown in my drawing (with two terminators). The owner of the shop Hjertmans where I bougt the stuff also gave me the same advice but he suggested four terminators. As it seems I am now stuck with an ST1 to STNG converter that is useless, one Axiom 9 of the wrong model and some bad advice from everybode I talked to. I really tried to do this right and talk to the Raymarine representatives before I bought anything and it turned out not so good. The worst part is that there is no support to call or email, just a knowledgebase and a FAQ. What do you suggest that I do? If Raymarin really want to be the leading marine electronics supplier this is not good enough.
Hello Almare,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had conflicting information. NMEA2000 connections unfortunately aren't always as simple as we would all like, and the exact answer you get to a question tends to depend on the context of the question.

The ST1-STNG convertor isn't useless in that system, you can get depth and speed from the Bidata through it. As my colleague Chuck explained, it's best to join Devicenet (standard NMEA2000) to STNG via the Backbone connectors rather than spur connectors, but I agree that this isn't particularly easy or obvious. The system must always have only 2 terminators, but if you were to remove the middle two terminators from your drawing then the system would work. The only drawback of this is that you then have two open sockets which are prone to condensation and corrosion, a possible short circuit or someone accidentally adding a terminator into later on. We are planning to introduce STNG backbone-Devicenet adaptors in due course that will make this connection very easy.

Regarding technical support - posts to the forum here will always be answered by experienced Raymarine staff, or you can contact experienced Raymarine support at our Sweden office ([ur]http://www.raymarine.se/view/index-id=1154.html[/url], perhaps this is who you spoke to before), or there is a larger support team at Raymarine UK who you can also contact by phone (http://www.raymarine.co.uk/view/index-id=1154.html.) I'd say that you could call me but I am in Australia.

Regards,
Tom
Reference URL's