Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Quantum 2 Radar/AxiomPro/Older SG3 Raymarine Autopilo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I have purchased a new system consisting of the following:
E70482 (Axiom Pro 12)
E70327 (RS150 GPS antenna)
T70417 (Quantum Q24D)
3x E70327 (i70 displays)
E22078 (Wind transducer)
E70010 (ITC-5)
E26008 (P79 Speed tranducer)
Assorted backbone, 5 way connectors, ST1 to STNG adaptor, etc.

I am trying to integrate this system with an existing (installed) 2008 vintage Raymarine autopilot (with rudder position transducer) which I believe is an SG3 course computer. Additionally I have an existing 2008 Ray218E VHF (NMEA 0183) and have purchased a Vesper XB-8000 AIS.

Reading the installation instructions for the Quantum radar I learned that the Doppler and MARPA functionality requires an EV-1/2 and went down that rabbit [censored] in the forum (thank you for the great information). I've since learned that the AR200 may be a better option than the EV-1 or EV-2 however I've also learned that more than 1 course computer violates the ST to STNG converter I think I require to get my raymarine autopilot to integrate with my MFD/network.

So my question is the following:

1: In order for me to utilize the new Quantum2 functionality for my proposed set up, do I need to purchase a new evolution autopilot system?
2: If not, knowing the AR200 will serve as the proper 10Hz course input for doppler/MARPA functionality, what issues should I expect and try to solve for when trying to integrate my older raymarine autopilot with the new systems I have purchased?

thank you in advance. This forum is fantastic and a huge component of my decision to replace my existing Raymarine with more Raymarine.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Brian,

Q1. I am trying to integrate this system with an existing (installed) 2008 vintage Raymarine autopilot (with rudder position transducer) which I believe is an SG3 course computer.
A1. As the S3G is designed to support outputting gyro stabilized 10Hz heading data via its NMEA 0183 OUT port, it is recommended that a third party NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 gateway (ex. Actisense NGW-1-STNG, etc) be used to interface the S3G's NMEA 0183 IN1 port to a spur socket within the backbone.

Q2. I have an existing 2008 Ray218E VHF (NMEA 0183)
A2. If only seeking to supply the VHF radio with GPS data, then the NMEA 0183 output of the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 gateway may be paralleled such that may be provided to the S3G and the VHF radio. If seeking to have MFD support plotting DSC position reports, then the NMEA 0183 output leads of the VHF radio and NMEA 0183 OUT1 port of the S3G would need to be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input ports a third party 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 Multiplexer. The NMEA 0183 output port of the NMEA 0183 multiplexer would then be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input port of the aforementioned NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 gateway.

Q3. The Vesper XB-8000 AIS
A3. The Vesper XB-8000 AIS features a NMEA 0183 communications interface and as such may be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone via one the following methods:
- A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06082 DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable

Q4. Reading the installation instructions for the Quantum radar I learned that the Doppler and MARPA functionality requires an EV-1/2
A4. Not quite correct. These features require heading input and 10Hz heading input respectively. The methods specified within the response to Q1 and Q2 addresss how the course computer NMEA 0183 OUT1 port may be used to supply this data to the system.

Q5. In order for me to utilize the new Quantum2 functionality for my proposed set up, do I need to purchase a new evolution autopilot system?
A5. This would only be necessary if there was an operational problem (ex. faulty gyro or other failure within the S3G course computer.

Q6. If not, knowing the AR200 will serve as the proper 10Hz course input for doppler/MARPA functionality, what issues should I expect and try to solve for when trying to integrate my older raymarine autopilot with the new systems I have purchased?
A6. If an AR200 is introduced to the system (which may provide overall greater heading accuracy to the system, then the S3G's fluxgate should be disconnected from the autopilot course computer. If an AR200 is introduced to the system, then the NMEA 0183 OUT1 port of the autopilot course computer would no longer be part of the solution (as heading is already being provided to the system by the AR200). As such, nothing should be connected to the S3G's NMEA 0183 OUT1 port.
Chuck,

Thank you very much.

As I want the functionality of tracking DSC targets on the MFD I will integrate a 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 multiplexer.

I have drawn a schematic and hope you can critique it. Once you show my errors I will draw a new one with the proper connectors.

As you will see I'm still unclear on the following:

1. Does the ST6002 plug directly in to the ACU or must it be connected to the backbone?
2. Is is better advised to substitute the AR200 for the S3Gs heading? (thus replacing the RS150 I currently have for my passive GPS antenna in this schematic)
3. I've tried to balance the LEN requirements as well for this system. Please advise if you see an error.
4. My EPIRB (ACR GlobalFix iPro) requires 4800 baud 0183 data for GPS position (via optical cable!!?!). I presume that can come from the multiplexer?
5. Do you have a recommendation for a good multiplexer? (e.g. YachtDevices, etc)

Thanks again for your fantastic help.

Brian Hill
SV_Atlas
Brian,

Q1. Does the ST6002 plug directly in to the ACU or must it be connected to the backbone?
A1. I'm a bit confused about your reference to an ACU. The ST6002 should be connected directly to one of the S3G's SeaTalk ports via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable.

Q2. Is is better advised to substitute the AR200 for the S3Gs heading? (thus replacing the RS150 I currently have for my passive GPS antenna in this schematic)
A2. Yes. I would expect that the AR200 should provide superior performance with respect to heading data and would eliminate the need for a NMEA 0183 multiplexer.

Q3. I've tried to balance the LEN requirements as well for this system. Please advise if you see an error.
A3. There are several errors within the diagram provided:

- General comments:

------ when redrawing the diagram, consider using single lines rather than pipes drawn. Alternatively consider using colors to indicate the different types of cable (spur, backbone, etc.).

----- 5-Way connectors support connecting no more than three devices to the backbone. The backbone sockets of these connectors are designed accept a Backbone Cable, which in turn may be connected to another 5-Way Connector, T-Piece, iTC-5, or SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

----- T-pieces may not be installed within a spur ... they are a backbone component.

Corrections:

- Given my response to Q2, it is recommended that the diagram redrawn to remove the NMEA 0183 multiplexer, remove the NMEA 0183 output line from the S3G, and connect the NMEA 0183 output from the VHF radio to the NMEA 0183 input of the NGW-1.

- A T-Piece with a SeaTalkng Termination Plug should be located where the NGW-1 connects to the backbone.

- the NGW-1 should be connected to the aforementioned T-Piece.

- Add NMEA 0183 output line from the NGW-1 to the S3G's NMEA 0183 IN1 port.

- The iTC-5 does not support NMEA 0183 communications. It must be installed as a backbone component (i.e. connected to other SeaTalkng networking components via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable) and spur (white) socket which may be used to interface a device or to power the backbone. Accordingly, NMEA 0183 lines within the diagram leading to this device should be removed from the diagram.

- Given my response to Q2, the reference to the RS150 should be removed.

Q4. My EPIRB (ACR GlobalFix iPro) requires 4800 baud 0183 data for GPS position (via optical cable!!?!). I presume that can come from the multiplexer?
A4. Negative. Per my initial response, I had recommended that the NMEA 0183 output of the NGW-1 be split/paralleled to supply data to the NMEA 0183 input port of the S3G, VHF radio, and now, the EPIRP as well.

Q5. Do you have a recommendation for a good multiplexer? (e.g. YachtDevices, etc)
A5. A multiplexer is not required, if heeding the recommendations of Q2.
Hi Chuck,

A few more questions, all related.

Q1: Assuming I wish to to track DSC targets on my Axiom Pro and have a 2008 Ray218, would the E70196 provide that functionality rather than utilizing the Actisense Gateway?
Q2: Assuming I have the AR200 plugged in to the network will utilizing the E22158 from the network to the SG3 be sufficient for providing the required heading data for functionality? This, again, would eliminate the use of the Actisense gateway.
Q3: For GPS data for our EPIRB, would we be able to patch in to the E70196, again eliminating the Actisense gateway?

Thank you,

Brian
Brian,

Q1: Assuming I wish to to track DSC targets on my Axiom Pro and have a 2008 Ray218, would the E70196 provide that functionality rather than utilizing the Actisense Gateway?
A1: Negative. Per the FAQ found here, the E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit is exclusively designed to support one-way communications (backbone => NMEA 0183. The NMEA 0183 output of the VHF radio may be either interfaced to one of the NMEA 0183 input ports of the MFD or may be interfaced to an 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG).

Q2: Assuming I have the AR200 plugged in to the network will utilizing the E22158 from the network to the SG3 be sufficient for providing the required heading data for functionality? This, again, would eliminate the use of the Actisense gateway.
A2. Negative. The heading data rate supported by SeaTalk is 1Hz. If abandoning use of a fluxgate compass, the autopilot course computer would require heading data from a 10Hz NMEA 0183 data source. In such cases, the autopilot course computer would be disconnected from all SeaTalk devices other than the autopilot's control head and wireless autopilot controller. A 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device would then be used to interface the autopilot course computer to the system.

Q3: For GPS data for our EPIRB, would we be able to patch in to the E70196, again eliminating the Actisense gateway?
A3. As long as the EPIRB was designed to support 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications, then this would indeed be possible.
Chuck,

That is really clear and helpful. Thank you for being gentle!

Best Regards.
You're welcome.
Hi Chuck,

I thought I would tap your expertise with the following issue I’m currently having:

I’m replacing my original, 2008, Raymarine radar (with the really thick white cable that carries power, NMEA0183, etc) with the new T70417 Quantum Doppler radar which contains 2 cables (power and data, A80275 for the data).

Is there a known cable gland to Raymarine that you recommend to use for passing these 2 cables through a deck or must I drill a new [censored] for the second cable? My current set up has scanstrut cable glands for each individual mast cable/wire. I’m certain I’m not the first to come across this issue and wanted to know if this had been solved? My forum keyword searches did not turn anything up.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Brian,

Q. Is there a known cable gland to Raymarine that you recommend to use for passing these 2 cables through a deck or must I drill a new [censored] for the second cable?
A. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, to eliminate the need to chase two cables, I generally recommend that those who will be seeking a wired connection to a Quantum / Quantum2 radome utilize a Digital Radar Cable (provides both power and Ethernet communications with the radome), as it would permit a single cable to be chased. Regarding cable glands, I would recommend searching the Internet for "marine bulkhead cable gland". Boat Outfitters appeared to have a Multi Deck Seal - Multiple Cables up to 0.71". Digital Radar Cables are approximately 0.5" in diameter.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's