Raymarine forum

Full Version: SeatalkNG to S1 course computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I recently purchased an ES7 MFD, i70 and instrument pack (depth/speed/temp and wind). I have these installed using a SeatalkNG network with an ITC5. They are working well in a Navpod at the helm of my 30' sailboat. Power to the backbone is from a power input to the ITC5.
I want to interface these with an S1 autopilot I purchased second hand. I have the wheel drive unit installed and connected to the course computer, and also have the fluxgate compass connected to the course computer. The course computer has it's own 12 volt power. I also have what I believe is an ST60 Autopilot head installed at the helm. It's connected to the backbone with the yellow adapter plug for Seatalk1 into a 5 port connector (2 white, 1 yellow, 2 blue).
I now realize I probably didn't need that, as I could use the es7 to control the autopilot (but no matter). Of course, at the moment, it's reading NO PILOT when switched as it's not connected to the course computer.
My dilemma is how to network the course computer into the SeatalkNG backbone.
I have a white adapter cord with stripped ends, but there is no 6th wire, the Yellow Seatalk1 data cable.
I have read a million posts, including a Raymarine SeatalkNG handbook which says I can't network an S1 course computer into the backbone, but there's no date on the handbook so I don't know if that's old information?
My thought was to buy the Yellow Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG cable (A06047), cut the plug off and connect the bare wires to the course computer using only the yellow and black cables. There is no SeatalkNG input available on the S1 course computer (see attachment). Would that connect into the backbone by plugging into a 5 port connector with a white port, or do I need the 5 port connector with a yellow port?
Hoping this makes sense. Been driving me crazy for 2 weeks now!
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum 57BlueWolf,

Q1. I have read a million posts, including a Raymarine SeatalkNG handbook which says I can't network an S1 course computer into the backbone, but there's no date on the handbook so I don't know if that's old information?
A1. As has been indicated within the FAQ found here this has not been the case since the introduction of v1.10 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software (Apr 2011), this is no longer the case.

Q2. My thought was to buy the Yellow Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG cable (A06047), cut the plug off and connect the bare wires to the course computer using only the yellow and black cables. There is no SeatalkNG input available on the S1 course computer (see attachment). Would that connect into the backbone by plugging into a 5 port connector with a white port, or do I need the 5 port connector with a yellow port?
A2. It is not possible to interface the autopilot to the system in the manner which you have suggested. Please refer to the FAQ within the response to Q1 addressing how to interface the autopilot to the system.
I have read the FAQ. I am not familiar with all of the models mentioned in the FAQ and it would take a while for me to find them and to determine if they are pre- or post the S1 which seems to determine how I should connect it.

In simple terms, does this mean I should connect the S1 course computer to the original Pilot head, which is currently interfaced to SeatalkNG through the converter? Meaning the S1 components would be on their own Seatalk bus and only connected to SeatalkNG through the converter?

Appreciate the help.
57BlueWolf,

Q1. In simple terms, does this mean I should connect the S1 course computer to the original Pilot head, which is currently interfaced to SeatalkNG through the converter? Meaning the S1 components would be on their own Seatalk bus and only connected to SeatalkNG through the converter?

A1. Should the S1 Autopilot Course Computer and autopilot control head (please note that Raymarine has not produced an autopilot control head have the product name ST60) be the only devices having a SeaTalk communications interface which need to be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone, then the yellow SeaTalk port of the aforementioned SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be connected to one of the ST60xx Autopilot Control Head's SeaTalk sockets. The second SeaTalk socket of the ST60xx Autopilot Course Computer will in turn be interfaced to one of the SeaTalk ports of the S1 Autopilot Course Computer using an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable. When connecting this SeaTalk Cable to the S1 Autopilot Course Computer's SeaTalk port, only the cable's yellow (data) and shield (ground) leads will be connected to the corresponding terminals of the S1 Autopilot Course Computer's SeaTalk port. The red lead of this cable will not be used and will be insulated to prevent shorting.
Thank you for your assistance. I have done as you suggested, and now it seems the Control Head does recognize the Course Computer and gives me a heading. I still have 2 issues:
1) The Control Head beeps continuously with RUDDER REF as the message. Do I need to restore the factory resets to overcome this? I was not planning to use a Rudder reference and I understood I did not need to - am I correct?
2) Neither the i70 or the MFD recognize the Pilot - is that related to 1) above, as the Pilot is not yet fully functioning?
Many thanks again for your patience and assistance.
57BlueWolf,

Q1) The Control Head beeps continuously with RUDDER REF as the message. Do I need to restore the factory resets to overcome this? I was not planning to use a Rudder reference and I understood I did not need to - am I correct?
A1) The S1/S2/S3/S1G/S2G/S3G autopilot course computers must be interfaced to a rudder reference transducer.

Q2) Neither the i70 or the MFD recognize the Pilot - is that related to 1) above, as the Pilot is not yet fully functioning?
A2) Should the MFD and i70 display heading data (i.e. the heading data item is not specifying dashes for a value), then they would be deemed to be communicating with the autopilot. If not, then they would be deemed to have not been correctly interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone. The Autopilot Control feature must be configured ON within the MFD's user interface.
I was surprised by FAQ I quoted below that my S1 SmartPilot should interface with the A95 I'm ordering using NMEA0183 rather than through the SeaTalk-SeatalknG converter already needed to interface my (minimally functional) SR50 to the A95. I've updated my system diagram accordingly, but could I please have a quick review of the connections I've planned to interface a new A95 and Q24C with the existing instruments? I've attached a diagram.

"NOTE: Autpilot Course Computer products introduced prior to the Type 150/150G, 400/400G, ST4000+, ST5000+, instrument products introduced prior to the ST50+, as well as chartplotting, fishfinding, and radar products introduced prior to these autopilots and instruments utilize an older version of the SeaTalk communications protocol than did the products which followed them. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter has neither been designed nor tested for use with such products. Accordingly, it is recommended that any such devices within your present system be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and that they instead be interfaced to the newly created system via NMEA 0183 communications protocol if possible. "
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ted,

The S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G Autopilot Course Computer designs succeeded the Type 150/150G and Type 400/400G Autopilot Course Computer designs and would therefore be deemed compatible with SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters which have been updated with the latest SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software. While it would be possible to interface these autopilot course computers to the new MFD via NMEA 0183 communications protocol, one would not typically do so, as it would prohibit use of the Autopilot Control feature of the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs. Accordingly, it is recommended that all five devices having a SeaTalk communications interface be interfaced to a common SeaTalk bus, which is in turn interfaced to the yellow socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Coverter.

Your diagram incorrectly shows the SeaTalk bus being powered from the distribution panel through the instrument display. Power should not be provided to the instruments in this manner. If interfacing the S1 to the SeaTalk bus as described above, then it is recommended that the red lead of the SeaTalk Cable connecting the SeaTalk bus to the autopilot course computer be disconnected and then insulated to prevent shorting. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing integrating SeaTalk device with a SeaTalkng backbone.

Additionally, should the MFD not be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it would be recommended that the NMEA 0183 output of the RS125 GPS Sensor additionally be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input of the MFD.
Thank you for the quick and detailed response - very helpful. Hopefully the revised diagram I've attached implements your suggestions. I had to add a power injector for the SeaTalk ng bus since both ports where the power cable could attach to the SeaTalk-SeaTalk ng converter are occupied with data.

It is remarkable that much of the 10-year-old Raymarine instrumentation on this installation remains functional and reliable so it's worth finessing the interfaces between the generations. Great equipment!
Ted,

Your diagram incorrectly indicates how the SeaTalkng backbone will be powered. You will need to add spur socket to the SeaTalkng backbone, to which a SeaTalkng Power Cable (which has been interfaced to a switched 12VDC power circuit) will be connected

Finally, it is generally recommended that any of the following SirusXM Weather / Radio Receivers be used with a system featuring a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs:
- SR150 (recommended)
- SR6 (retired)
- SR100 (retired)

While limited Sirius Satellite Weather features are supported within a system featuring a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs and a SR50, Sirius Satellite Radio features are not supported within such systems.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's