Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Enhancing WiFi Reception
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am currently using 2 linked Axiom 9 MFDs networked to other Raymarine products (i.e., auto-pilot, VHF radio, and AIS). Built-in WiFi reception is often insufficient to successfully download firmware updates. I plan to add an external WiFi extender antenna (e.g., Wave Rogue) and a modem/router to the boat for better reception and to support multiple devices (e.g., Roku TV, phones, tablets) and wondering if it could/should be integrated with the Axiom to improve reception there.

If so, would the Axiom internal wifi defer to the external signal or continue to operate?

I'm not a technical person and don't have a 6-year old in my home to splain it to me, so please keep responses simple.

Thanks.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Gregory,

Such WiFi extenders are indeed possible to use for the purpose stated. However, they do not perform in the manner which you have suggested ... specifically, not settings / adjustments to the MFD's WiFi feature would be necessary. A  Range Extender, WiFi Booster or WiFi Extender is a device that repeats the wireless signal from a router (home, marina, boat, etc.) to expand its coverage. It functions as a bridge, capturing the WiFi from your router and rebroadcasting it to areas where the WiFi is weak or nonexistent, improving the performance of your home Wifi. Think of it in terms of baseball, where your router is an outfielder whose job is to get the ball to the catcher. A WiFi extender is the shortstop that stands between the two, waiting to catch the ball and throw it in to home plate. You want to consider the MFD, to be much like a computer, tablet, Roku, etc. which is in need of Internet access via WiFi from the home's, marina's , or boat's router.

For more information concerning WiFi extenders, it is recommended that such support be sought from the manufacturer of the WiFi extender being considered.
Reference URL's