Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] connecting multiple mfds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am currently using a Raymarine Axiom Pro. I then installed a Axiom 7 to monitor my engines, etc through the Dashboard. Everything worked fine until I installed a Real Vision transducer to the Axiom 7.
While underway, a wide red/pink track appeared on my Axiom Pro navigation chart. After some investigation, I found that I had a "Sonar Live" enabled in the Axiom 7 which I assume was coming up on the Axiom Pro chart. After I disabled the Sonar Live, the red/pink track was still appearing on my chart and I have been unable to get rid of it.
Both MFD's are connected individually through the NMEA 2000 backbone.
My question is 1) How do I get rid of this red/pink lines and 2) Should the two MFD's be in some kind of network and not connected individually? 3) if yes to question 2, is there a diagram somewhere showing how to do that?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum rlynn12,

Q1. Both MFD's are connected individually through the NMEA 2000 backbone.
A1. Raymarine's MFDs are designed to be interfaced to one another via an Ethernet network, not via an NMEA 2000 backbone. When interfaced to one another via an Ethernet network, the MFDs will share all system resources (cartography, radar, fishfinders, marine weather, video, system state, instrument & navigational data from devices which have been interfaced to the backbone, as well control / configuration of some SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 devices is supported. Additionally, page configurations and page settings will be share among devices which have been interfaced via an Ethernet network. To accomplish this end, the MFDs may be interfaced directly to one another or to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. Should the MFDs have been interfaced to one another as specified within this paragraph, and should both MFDs open the same page, and should one of the MFDs configure the SonarChart Live feature ON or OFF, then the effects of this settings change will be mirrored by the other MFD which is viewing this same page.

However when not interfaced via Ethernet communications, but instead via a backbone alone, the MFDs will only share system state, instrument & navigational data from devices which have been interfaced to the backbone, as well control / configuration of some SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 devices is supported. As page sets and page configurations are not shared when interfaced in this manner, it would be necessary to configure the SonarChart Live feature OFF or ON as desired within the Chart application page/pane of each MFD.
Following this. It is my understanding, and our experience, that SonarChart Live will only work on the MFD in which the chart card is actively installed. It sounds like networking the two chartplotters on our boat via ethernet, instead of SeaTalkng, as they are now, would give us SonarChart Live screen features (the red/pink/white depth info the OP is talking about) on both MFDs?
Randy,

Q. (Would) networking the two chartplotters on our boat via ethernet, instead of SeaTalkng, as they are now, would give us SonarChart Live screen features (the red/pink/white depth info the OP is talking about) on both MFDs?
A. Yes.
Hi Chuck-
Thanks for this. Can you think of any reason NOT to connect the MFDs this way, if we can find a cable? And please confirm we would still keep them connected via the ST ng backbone as well...?
Randy,

Q1. Can you think of any reason NOT to connect the MFDs this way, if we can find a cable?
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The only reason which one would typically not interface the MFDs via Ethernet communications would be an upgrade/addition of a MFD to the system in which the MFDs were operating with incompatible versions of software (ex. LHII software in the a-Series MFD and LH3 software within the eS-Series MFD).

Q2. Please confirm we would still keep them connected via the ST ng backbone as well...?
A2. Indeed it is possible to leave each MFD connected to the STng backbone. Please refer to the last paragraph of the FAQ referenced above.
Reference URL's