Raymarine forum

Full Version: [DG11] 12V Linear Drive Type 2 - Short or Long
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I thought I had posted but have no response so trying again.
I have an Island Packet 45, loaded weight approx 16,000kg, regular Ocean crossings and a very large rudder. I am replacing my Linear Drive. The old one was a type 2 short, but given our weight I have selected and purchased a type 2 long.
Page 11 of the install manual Figure 4 Drive alignment has a recommended tiller arm length (quadrant) of 250mm for the short and 355mm for the long.
My quadrant radius is 255mm but given my boats weight I feel the type 2 long is the correct choice.
Does my shorter qudarant/tiller arm radius matter in this case?
Regards,
Craig
Hi Craig,

Thankyou for your enquiry, hope I can help?

The Type 2 long is really the recommended drive for this displacement of vessel, the additional torque generated through the longer stroke and longer tiller arm is necessary, based on the displacement and offshore nature of your passages.

Basically the T2 and T2S have the same motor and gearbox etc, but the 'S' variant uses a shorter stroke and shorter tiller arm, so has as much thrust - but importantly - imparts lower torque on the rudder.

We would really recommend modifying the installation to fit a longer tiller bar - keyed onto the rudder stock, so that the longer stroke can be used effectively on a longer tiller arm, thereby taking advantage of the greater torque available to you.

I hope this helps?
Kind regards

Derek
Reference URL's