Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] ST60 wind sensor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings.

Last week, I had a nice (but probably fairly old) ST60 wind sensor at the top of my mast. It's gone now (not the cups or vane -- the whole thing!). Probably the doings of that evil Osprey I have noticed sitting on my neighbor's wind sensor...LOL (note, I love Osprey).

Three questions.

Is the attached picture a R28170 (complete unit)?

Do you make a bird spike like Windex uses (of course, the spike on my Windex has a 30 degree bend.....)

Am I likely to find other failures up there, or is it simply a case of "buy, climb mast, screw to plug/mount"? I'm hoping the attachment nut backed off and it fell down.

Thanks!

Harry
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Harry,

Q1. Is the attached picture a R28170 (complete unit)?
A1. Negative. R28170 is the part number for the standard length (14-1/2") masthead wind transducer alone. R28171 is the part number for the long length (26") masthead wind transducer alone. Both will fit the currently installed masthead block should it still be in place. If seeking the wind transducer, masthead block, and cable, then the part numbers are E22078 (30m) and E22079 (30m) depending upon whether you will want the standard length transducer with a masthead block and 30m or or long length transducer with a masthead block and 30m cable respectively.

Q2. Do you make a bird spike like Windex uses (of course, the spike on my Windex has a 30 degree bend.....)
A2. Negative.

A3. Am I likely to find other failures up there, or is it simply a case of "buy, climb mast, screw to plug/mount"?
A3. Unfortunately, the only way to know would be to inspect the transducer's masthead block by sending someone up the mast, lowering the mast, or perhaps by using a UAV (drone) with high def camera should you have access to one or know someone who does and is willing to assist.
Chuck,

Thanks for the replies. Most were as expected, but still helpful.

The surprise, and I'm glad you pointed it out, is the long vs short arm.

For a cruising 43' sailboat, would you recommend the long or the short? I can't compare with the original.....LOL.

I suspect the short will be more robust, but get slight interference from the sails, a tradeoff that is probably appropriate for a cruiser. Thoughts?

Thanks

Harry
Harry,

Performance sailors will seek the cleanest air, necessitating that the wind transducer be positioned as far as is permissible from objects which will alter the wind's natural path. This group will commonly seek a long arm wind transducer. For non-performance applications, the standard arm wind transducer will generally suffice.
Reference URL's