Raymarine forum

Full Version: [TG11] Poor range with smartcontroller
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A few months ago I installed a new EV-100 Wheel Evolution Autopilot and with it a SmartController. Since the installation I have had problems getting the SmartController to stay connected to the base and finally started troubleshooting the issue.

If I hold the remote within a few inches of the base, it connects with full signal, 5 bars. If I move the remote to beyond 3 feet it drops the connection entirely. In the range between, I see no lowering of the signal level, it stays at 5 bars until it drops off completely.

At first I thought maybe the power connection was not solid an re-checked the wiring and all looked good. Inside the base on the connection block, I checked the voltage and it stayed a steady 12.7 volts while moving the remote in and out of the 3 ft range and the connect/disconnect events.

Is there anything else I can try, or is this likely a return for repair issue?
Hello joetomberlin,

It's definitely a SmartController, not an S100? We have had a few cases of this recently on S100s, but not on SmartControllers.

Either way: if that's with new/fully charged batteries in the remote, and there's no obstruction between the two, then that sounds like either a high level of background radio interference (this is surprisingly common: I am chasing just such an issue in my home at the moment that's causing very poor Bluetooth and 2.4GHz Wifi performance) or a fault with either the remote or the base station. I would get them checked by your dealer or our own service workshop.

Regards,
Tom
Reference URL's