Raymarine forum

Full Version: [TG11] Upgrading autopilot 650 to ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I currently have a Raytheon pilot 650 that works fine. I would like to update the control head to interface with my ray marine c210 chart and radar. I would also like to update the vfh and tridata. I have attached a pic. Can you guys give me some advice? The boat is a 2000 sea ray 410 express pilot vfh and tridata are original. The boat is equipped with sea star hydraulic steering.
Hello Napier8121,

It's not actually the pilot display that affects the integration with MFDs, it's the black-box Course Computer. In a system of that age with an RP650 display I expect you have a Type 100 or Type 300 CC, which talks Seatalk1. You can connect ST1 pilots like those to a more modern MFD either on direct Seatalk1 (most MFDs up to the Widescreen generation, including C120 Classic and C120W) or to more recent and current MFDs via a Seatalk1 - SeatalkNG convertor.
If you did want still to update the pilot display, you can use a p70RS display with your existing CC. Connect the new display via an ST1-STNG 3-pin to 6-pin adaptor cable, e.g. A06073, rather than putting it on the STNG side of the convertor. This is because the convertor's software was designed to use ST1 displays with STNG pilots rather than the other way round.

You can replace the Tridata with an updated i50 Tridata and connect it to STNG via the convertor.

You can see the VHF range here. The closest in footprint size to your existing radio would be the Ray73, but otherwise you could perhaps use the neater Ray53 and put the dash space you save to better use.

Regards,
Tom
Reference URL's