Raymarine forum

Full Version: SmartPilot error to Classic E120 Chartplotter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I added a RS130 GPS and AIS650 to my Raymarine electronics suite. After the upgrade my chartplotter shows an error icon for the AutoPilot. Attached is the schematic of my electronics, can you please look it over and determine if there are any wiring issues that would cause this error?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum cjfrench,

You may be confusing the meaning of the Autopilot Control icon. When interfaced via SeaTalk or SeaTalkng to a compatible Raymarine autopilot AND the MFD's Autopilot Control feature has been enabled, the red X will be removed from the autopilot icon within the transducer status data item if the MFD senses the presence of the autopilot. Accordingly, it is recommended that you verify that the MFD's Autopilot Control feature has been enabled and that the autopilot has been powered ON.
Thank you for the response. I looked through the menus and didn't see any options for "Autopilot Control feature" in my Classic E120. Can you point me in the right direction on which setting and where it is located in the menus?
cjfrench,

When operating with the final release of E-Series Classic MFD software, the Autopilot Control configuration setting may be accessed via the command sequence MENU->SYSTEM SETUP->SYSTEM INTEGRATION->AUTOPILOT CONTROL.
I have confirmed that the AutoPilot control is enabled (I disabled it and then re-enabled it). The "GOTO" softkey key was enabled but when I clicked it, it jumped to the AutoPilot softkeys but they switch to Grey'd out. Any other ideas?
I have not installed a known good Smart Pilot but the options on the chart plotter remain greyed out.

On the chart plotter displats True Wind, Apparent Wind, and other information that is on the SeaTalk network.
cjfrench,

Your diagram appears to be incorrect in the following ways:
1) in that it show the fluxgate, rudder, motor, and clutch interfaced to a part number E12107. E12107 is the part number for a ST6002 autopilot control head. The aforementioned autopilot components should have been interfaced to an autopilot course computer (model not specified by you). While the diagram would appear correct for a compatible autopilot, it may indicate that the autopilot's SeaTalk port is not functioning correctly or that there is an issue with its interface to the SeaTalk bus.

2) The SeaTalk bus is supplying power to the SeaTalkng backbone. Within your diagram, it appears that the autopilot course computer (model not specified) is powering the SeaTalk bus, which is in turn backfeeding power to the SeaTalkng backbone. Instead, the SeaTalk bus should be powered from the SeaTalkng backbone. Accordingly, the red SeaTalk terminal of the autopilot course computer should be disconnected from the SeaTalk Cable connecting the autopilot course computer to the SeaTalk bus. A power insertion point will need to be installed as a spur within the backbone using a SeaTalkng Power Cable. The location of the spur will be at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. The SeaTalkng Power Cable will be interfaced to a switched 12VDC power circuit.

3) The ST70 Instrument display within the starboard hull should not be used as a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Data bridge as you have installed it, as ST70 Instrument software has not evolved to perform as an effective data bridge with autopilots. Instead, the SeaTalk devices which you have shown interfaced to the ST70 Instrument display should instead be interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter can support data bridging/powering up to five devices featuring a SeaTalk communications interface (ex. ST40/60 Instruments, wireless autopilot controller, ST6002, etc.).

Additional Note: It is recommended that you verify that the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s) have been updated with v1.21 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software rather than other versions of software for the converter.

After making the specified changes, the communications with the autopilot course computer may be verified by checking the MFD is receiving Rudder data. Should problems persist, then please respond with the model of autopilot course computer installed.
Chuck,

Again thank you.

This weekend I removed the SeaTalk connection to the SmartPilot and switched it to NMEA0183.

In response to your comments:
1. I have updated with the correct part number (see new attachement)
2. This was corrected with removing the SeaTalk connection to the SmartPilot
3. I will rewire this and add the SeaTalk to SeaTalkNG converter. The Starboard ST70 is not used with the Auto Pilot
4. SeaTalk to SeaTalkNG converter has the latest version

New Information:
1. I installed a known good SmartPilot (E12180) in place of my original SmartPilot. Problem still occurred
2. Removed AIS, wired SmartPilot directly to Chartplotter, changed speed of NMEA to 4,800 speed. Problem still occurred
3. Reinstalled AIS, wired SmartPilot to slow speed port on AIS650 NMEA. Changed Chartplotter NMEA speed to high speed AIS. Problem still occurred

In all cases:
1. On the Chartplotter the upper left Pilot Icon had a red X
2. The GOTO softkey is active, but pressing the button jumps to the Autopilot softkeys but they are greyed out.
cjfrench,

E12180 is the part number for a S1 Wheel Pilot package which would have included the S1 Autopilot Course Computer. The S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G Autopilot Course Computers are compatible with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters which have been updated with v1.21 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software.

Q: This weekend I removed the SeaTalk connection to the SmartPilot and switched it to NMEA0183.
A: The MFD's Autopilot Control feature is limited to compatible autopilot course computers which have been interfaced via SeaTalk or SeaTalkng communications protocols. The MFD's Autopilot Control feature cannot be used with Raymarine autopilots which have been interfaced via NMEA 0183 communications protocol or with third party autopilots.
It is a S1 Autopilot Course Computer with a Linear Drive.

I will switch it back to SeaTalk. Can you confirm that the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter MUST be V1.21 and that V2.01 will not work? If that is correct,
how can I downgrade to V1.21.

Thanks,
Chris
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's