Raymarine forum

Full Version: Does A68 require a CP100 so downvison sonar will work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just had a Raymarine A68 installed. I was under the distinct understanding that Chirp Downvision sonar was built into the A68 and with the right transducer would display sonar on the screen.

My dealer installed a CP100 in addition to the A68, and the sonar seems to be working, but was the CP100 necessary? I thought the A68 made eliminated the need for the CP100 sonar module.

Please advise asap as I need to discuss this with my dealer right away.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Richard,

The ax8 MFDs and eSx8 MFDs feature internal CHIRP (Conical) sonar and DownVision sonar circuitry. As such, these MFDs need only be interfaced to a compatible CHIRP (Conical) / DownVision Transducer. The only reasons that one would typically install a CP100 CHIRP (Conical) Sonar DownVision Sonar Module onboard a vessel featuring an ax8 MFD or eSx8 MFD would be:
- the transducer cable and extension are not sufficiently long enough to mate to the MFD's transducer socket
- the transducer cable or cable's plug cannot be chased without modifying the transducer's cable
- simplification of the installation achieved by interfacing the CP100, MFD, Radome/Open Array Pedestal, etc. though a HS5 RayNet Network Switch ... as "time is money", it may be more cost effective from an installation standpoint to install a HS5 RayNet Network Switch rather than chase several cables to the location of the MFD.

That said, should a CP100 be installed onboard, then an ax5/cx5/e7/ex5 MFD would have typically been recommended, as the MFD's CHIRP (Conical) sonar and DownVision sonar circuitry would be redundant and not used. Raymarine does not offer versions of the eS-Series MFDs lacking internal sonar circuity.
I need some advice on this......

It is my understanding that the Raymarine RAYE70339 does not have the ability to support the downvision function that the Raymarine A68 has built into it.

Am I wrong about that?

I am being told that it can be used and downvision will indeed display if the "ping is enabled" and the software revision is #1745.

Is this true?

I also have, besides the A68 with Wi-Fi chartplotter, the CP100 module installed.

Does that make a difference in the RAYE70339's ability to display downvision on the A68?

Are there any circumstances in which the RAYE70339 as the only transducer installed is capable of displaying downvision on the Raymarine A68 unit?

I am also told that the transducers I originally understood to be the correct thru-hull models for downvision display, the CPT110, or the CPT120, to be wrong for my boat, a 2009 Sea Ray 270 SLX. Is that correct? The boat can go as fast as mid to upper 40's MPH in ideal circumstances, although of course actually traveling at those speeds is very rare. I am only pointing this out in case speed affects functionality, but typically I would be cruising at speeds of 30MPH and more often that not much slower than even that speed.

I am trying to determine the correct thru-hull transducer for my boat so that I can take full advantage of both the sonar and downvision capabilities. Because I am getting conflicting information I am hoping you can settle this by giving me a definitive answer so I can ensure my boat has the correct gear installed.
Q1: It is my understanding that the Raymarine RAYE70339 does not have the ability to support the downvision function that the Raymarine A68 has built into it.
A1: Correct. The E70339 CPT-S transducer will exclusively support the CHIRP (Conical) Sonar fishfinder imaging of a CP100 or an ax8 or eSx8 MFD. Should both CHIRP Conical Sonar and DownVision Sonar fishfinder imaging be required, then the vessel must be fitted with one of the transducers:
- A80351 CPT-100 DVS
- A80277 CPT-110 (Plastic)
- A80350 CPT-120 (Bronze)
- A80270 CPT-100 (retired)

The CPT-110 or CPT-120 may indeed be used with your hull as long they don't present problems with loading the vessel on the trailer (should one be used). The transom mounted CPT-100 DVS may also be used with hulls of this length having I/O drives. However, properly installed thru-hull transducer w/high speed fairing blocks will generally yield the greatest performance at speed.
Having similar concern. I have an a128 and wanted to add CPT to my vessel, but do not think the CPT120 will work. My boat is a sailing multihull and the deadrise angle is much greater than 25 degrees. Is this is the case, what sensor can be used?
firstlight38,

Unfortunately, Raymarine does not offer a thru-hull transducer supporting DownVision for hulls having a deadrise greater than 25 degrees. The only way that a thru-hull could be installed would be to fabricate a custom pocket in the keel to accommodate installation of the following transducers such that the face of the transducer would be flush with the hull:
- A80277 CPT-110 (Plastic)
- A80350 CPT-120 (Bronze)
Thanks Chuck. So my hull will have a bump. It seems as though this will mean that the cpt will not be perpendicular to the hull (in order to get the transducer parallel to water)

Since I am a multihull, and there is virtually no heel, can a transom transducer be attached to a pole between my hulls to the waterline? Im thinking its something that can be retracted in seas but my main rationale for the sonar to begin with is in skinny water.
Q1: So my hull will have a bump. It seems as though this will mean that the cpt will not be perpendicular to the hull (in order to get the transducer parallel to water)
A1: As the CPT-110 and CPT-120 are fairly narrow transducers, it may be possible to install the transducer in the keel where it may point directly down.

Q2: Since I am a multihull, and there is virtually no heel, can a transom transducer be attached to a pole between my hulls to the waterline? Im thinking its something that can be retracted in seas but my main rationale for the sonar to begin with is in skinny water.
A2: While conceptually possible, performance would be dependent upon how stable the mount would be.

You may want to check with others having similar hulls who have installed fishfinder transducers. Should conventional sonar be an option, then you may want to look at depth instruments or fishfinding products supporting in-hull transducers (hull must be less than 1" thick in the installation location).
Chuck, thought I would give you an update. Seems as though just forward of my mini keels on the starboard side i have my depth/temp sensor. I am currently hauled for a bottom job and seems as though I can locate the sensor in the same position in the opposite hull. In that case it would be at 0 deg angle. It would just require a bit more wire to get back to the a128 mfd.
firstlight38,

Raymarine offers the A80273 4m Transducer Extension Cable for such purposes.
Reference URL's