Raymarine forum

Full Version: Transducer options on DSM300 changed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I have a Raymarine E120 MFD with a DSM300 and the speed/temp sensor on my Airmar B744V transducer recently failed, so I purchased a new Airmar speed/temp insert for the transducer, which I spliced into my transducer cable via an Airmar waterproof splice box. After finishing the installation I checked the operation of the transducer and found the temperature and depth working fine but NO speed indications. I then reset the DSM300 and went to configure the DSM300 for the B744V transducer and found the drop down list of transducers no longer listed the B744V transducer or any other 600 watt transducers. All of the transducers on the list were of the 1Kw variety. I know that prior to changing the speed/temp insert, my DSM300 was configured for a B744V transducer and it definitely showed up on the dropdown list. How can I configure the DSM for the correct transducer if it does not show up on the configuration drop down list and why did the list change? Thanks in advance for your help.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum naz14,

Airmar, Inc. produces several versions of the B744V and the associated speed/temp insert based upon:
- whether the transducer will be interfaced to an instrument or
- whether the transducer will be interfaced to the fishfinder ... in the case of fishfinders, the B744V's design will also vary based upon the make/model of fishfinder

Please note that it appears that you purchased the incorrect speed temp insert for your B744V. Unlike the instrument version of the B744V, the correct replacement speed temp inserts for B744V fishfinder transducers feature a Y-Cable permitting the plug of the B744V's cable to be unplugged from the sounder module and then be connected to the corresponding leg of the aforementioned Y-Cable. The remaining leg of the Y-Cable would then be plugged into the sounder module's Transducer socket.

Raymarine does not support splicing of fishfinder transducers, as fishfinding performance is often adversely affected and incorrect splicing may result in damage to the sounder module. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. It is recommended that Airmar be contacted to verify the splicing performed and if necessary make any corrections. If after doing so, the problem persists, then a DSM Reset should be commanded. Should the problem persist there after, then it would be recommended that the sounder module either be tested with another compatible transducer or be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
Hi Chuck,
I understand your reply completely but I did call Airmar and they did recommend the temp/speed sensor part number that I purchased. The only problem with the transducer sensor is the fact that the connectors on the end of the cable are too big to fit through my cable channel in the bilge with out taking all of the other wires and cables out of the channel, which would be a real pain. So, with that said, I call Airmar and asked if the was a way to cut the end off the new temp/speed sensor and splice the temp/speed sensor cable to which they replied "Yes" but only if a Airmar water proof splice/junction box was used. I purchased one of these splice boxes and followed the Airmar specific instructions which I have attached to this, see figure #7. Everything on the DSM and MFG seem to be working fine except for the speed and the fact that the B744V transponder no longer shows on the DSM transducer option drop down list on the DSM configuration menu. I do have the "Y" cable that was shipped with my speed/temp sensor replacement so if I were get all of the cables, the original transducer zip cable with the failed temp/speed sensor and the replacement speed/temp sensor with the "Y" cable all back to their original state, and use the "Y" cable as it was intended, would the DSM transducer configuration drop down list, then, show the B744V transducer?
naz14,

The symptom reported would typically be indicative of damage within the fishfinder depth half of the B744V's zip cable. The transducer sense lead within this half of the cable will be used by the sounder module to detect whether a transducer is connected to the sounder module, and if so, whether it is a 600W transducer or a 1kW/2kW transducer. This problem may also be indicative of problem with the DSM300. Should you not have damaged/spliced the fishfinder depth half of the B744V's zip cable and have correctly used the junction box (not supported by Raymarine) to splice the cable, then it would be recommended that the DSM be tested with another transducer which was known to be operation or that the DSM be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
Thanks for the input Chuck. By the way, the depth half of the zip cable was untouched. Only the temp/speed half was cut and spliced in the Airmar splice/junction box. Maybe I will see if I can find another transducer to borrow to test the DSM. I just don't understand how changing the depth/temp sensor only could have impacted the DSM's ability to recognize the B744V transducer and come up with a new list of 1kw transducers, unless the DSM coincidentally failed at the same time I changed out the temp/speed sensor per Airmars specific instructions?
naz14,

Its certainly not outside of the realm of reason that the fault may be rooted in the DSM. Please additionally note that as of the time of this response, DSM30/300s which are bench tested by Raymarine's Product Repair Center and found to have suffered a design/production failure (exclude failure resulting from abuse/mis-use, lightning, fire, water, etc.) were being repaired or replaced at no cost to their owners.
Great information Chuck. You have always been "spot on" regarding customer service and calling a spade a spade. Thanks! I am going to see how much of a challenge the removal of the DSM will be, cause it's mounted in the "T-Top" of a 29' Everglades with a Raymarine 12Kw radar directly above it and tons of wires and cables surrounding it. If I can get it out without destroying it or anything else around it I will do so and send it to New Hampshire for evaluation. Thanks again
You're welcome.
Reference URL's