Raymarine forum

Full Version: AIS 650 status
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there anyway to set the status of your own vessel? When looking at my vessel it always says "Underway using engines" as opposed to "not defined" or "underway using sails"?

I've observed other vessels in my are that seem to be able to change their status.

I'm a sailboat and don't want all vessels to think I'm under power when I am not.

I have an eSeries MFD, 650 AIS, i70 instrument as well as ST60, SPX wheel pilot, DST 800 transducer, and SeaTalk NG converter.

Also, is there anyway to check your own status of what you are tranmitting through your AIS? That would seem to be an easy update for Raymarine to do as an update.

Thanks - Neal
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Neal,

Unlike Class A AIS transceivers, status is not transmitted by Class B AIS transceivers. Accordingly, there is no provision within the MFDs or within the ProAIS2 software to configure vessel status.

The following excerpt from Wiki regarding Class B AIS messages may provide you with additional information on this subject:

Four messages are defined for class B units:

Message 14
Safety Related Message: This message is transmitted on request for the user – some transceivers have a button that enables it to be sent, or it can be sent through the software interface. It sends a pre-defined safety message.

Message 18
Standard Class B CS Position Report: This message is sent every 3 minutes where speed over ground (SOG) is less than 2 knots, or every 30 seconds for greater speeds. MMSI, time, SOG, COG, longitude, latitude, true heading

Message 19
Extended Class B Equipment Position Report: This message was designed for the SOTDMA protocol, and is too long to be transmitted as CSTDMA. However a coast station can poll the transceiver for this message to be sent. MMSI, time, SOG, COG, longitude, latitude, true heading, ship type, dimensions.

Message 24
Class B CS Static Data Report: This message is sent every 6 minutes, the same time interval as for Class A transponders. Because of its length, this message is divided into two parts, sent within one minute of each other. This message was defined after the original AIS specifications, so some Class A units may need a firmware upgrade to be able to decode this message. MMSI, boat name, ship type, call sign, dimensions, and equipment vendor id.
Ok, so not sure why AIS systems I'm seeing are clearly stating when some sailboats are under sail.

Is there any way then to reprogram my AIS as "not defined" for status, since reporting this would be better and safer than stating something I'm not; such as underway using engines when I'm not
Also, as originally asked; is there anyway to check your own status of what you are tranmitting through your AIS on my MFD? That would seem to be an easy update for Raymarine to do If not.
Neal,

The AIS650 is a Class B AIS transceiver, not a Class A AIS transceiver. As stated within my initial response, unlike Class A AIS transceivers, status is not transmitted by Class B AIS transceivers. Accordingly, there is no provision within the MFDs or within the ProAIS2 software to configure vessel status.

Should the vessel be fitted with a Class A AIS Transceiver (ex. AIS950, etc.) then it would be possible configure vessel status via the Class A AIS transceiver's user interface. It is quite possible that the sailing vessels specified have been equipped with a Class A AIS transceiver.

Many customers will seek the assistance of another nearby vessel which is equipped an AIS receiver to view the information being transmitted by one's own transceiver. Another commonly used tool for such purposes is MarineTraffic.com vessel monitoring service. The latter is dependent upon an AIS receiver station being located within the area where your vessel is located.

https://help.marinetraffic.com/hc/en-us/...-Interplay
Reference URL's