Raymarine forum

Full Version: Seatalk converter ST60+not on ng backbone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Installed Seatalk to Seatalk ng Converter. LED lights indicates "healthy" connection status. Depth does not repeat to a78 or P70 via ng backbone. Request MFD to find depth device and not found.
Advise, thanks, Alvin
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Alvin,

Please be more specific about providing a complete and detailed list of the devices (ex. ST60+ Depth, ST60+ Wind, Raystar 125, etc.) which has been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's yellow SeaTalk socket. Have you disconnected the SeaTalk device(s) from any power circuits which had previously supplied them with power ... the SeaTalk device(s) will instead be powered via the SeaTalkng backbone. Has the SeaTalkng backbone been properly terminated (i.e. two termination plugs have been installed within the backbone, and these termination plugs have been installed within the backbone's two end sockets.
Thanks Chuck,
Devices and connectios:
Autopilot Actuator: T piece with spur to Actuator, Terminator, Seatalk ng backbone to >
Seatalk-Seatalk ng Converter: Spur cable to P70 Autopilot controller, Spur cable to EV200 Evolution, Seatalk adapter cable to ST 60+ Depth meter, Seatalk ng backbone cable to>
5 way connector: Seatalk spur to MFD a78 power, Seatalk ng spur to MFD a78 network, unused spur connector (no blanking plug), Seatalk ng backbone to>
T connector: Spur to i60+ wind instrument, Terminator
Only power connection to backbone is from MFD a78. The depth instrument ST 60+ has power and a red line in the spur adapter cable to the converter. This is the only Seatalk device connected to the converter.
MFD, Wind, autopilot all connected working normally. Depth not displayed and MFD find device, not found. Blank display for depth.
Simple test for depth on backbone? Thanks, Alvin
Alvin,

Please note that Raymarine MFDs are not designed to supply power to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Within the system which you have described, the ACU-200's SeaTalkng Power dip switch should be configure to OFF and the SeaTalkng Power Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter should be connected to a spur socket located at the approximate mid-point of the backbone's LEN load. The ST60 Depth Instrument would then be connected to the yellow SeaTalk socket of the ST-STng Converter. Within this installation, the ST60's Depth Instrument's second SeaTalk port should not have any cable connected to it.

Communications with the ST60 Depth instrument would then be verified by first ensuring that the ST60 Depth Instrument is reporting depth. If so, then the MFD's Data Sources feature should then be configured to Manual and the ST60 Depth Instrument should be selected from the list of Depth data sources. After doing so, an application page other than the MFD's Fishfinder page should be opened and configured to display Databox 1 or 2 which in turn has been configured to be populated with the Depth data item. Should the Databox be dashed and the ST60 Depth Instrument report a value for depth, then it would appear that the ST60 Depth Instrument may have suffered a failure of it's SeaTalk communications circuitry. The ST60 Depth Instrument may be tested by disconnecting it from the system and then interfacing it to a powered SeaTalk bus to which another device having a SeaTalk communications interface and capable of displaying Depth data has been interfaced.
Please excuse me. I misspoke! There is a 12 V power terminal block supplying power to the converter and the MFD a78. I will follow your instruction when I return to the boat. Many thanks. Alvin
You're welcome.
Reference URL's