Raymarine forum

Full Version: A65 Orginal Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, newbie to the forum and do appreciate all the great information provided. I was given an original A65 in like new condition and it seems to operate great. I updated the software to version V2.28 thanks to the information and files found in this forum. It did not have an antenna and I was able to get an RS125 Plus to use. I do not have the original cable so I could not cut and splice that, but I did find a connector that interfaces with the 6 pin male GPS socket on the A65. I found the below instructions previously provided, my question is the cable only has 5 leads and the diagram shows 6 leads being connected. I see two of them go to shield, do I just jump off the single shield wire to both connectors or eliminate one?

"Unfortunately, the requested cable & and plug were never available as individual parts. As this product was retired some time ago, details of the RS12 sensor plug are not readily available. The cable features a 6-pin plug which may be acquired from Gemeco (part #E36014). The pin-out for a RS12 GPS Sensor cable follows:
with the plug oriented with its female pins facing you and its indexing keyway at 12 o'clock, pins numbered clockwise:
1. red
2. shield
3. shield
4. yellow
5. green
6. center pin - brown"

I found many suggestions for using the NMEA interface on the unit, however I don’t have that cable or a five pin connector that matches and the few I found are crazy expensive for a connector and short piece of cable. If there is a better suggestion I would really appreciate the advice.

Lastly, the unit has the Navionics US All-in-One Marine OEM CF/91SN V17 card installed. Will that card display land mass as I navigate in our bayous and along our gulf coast? When I run simulation mode I only see blue seas with no land mass. If not is there an add on card still available for this older unit for Northwest Florida (Pan Handle) that I can purchase. Sorry for the long winded post, and again thanks for a great forum.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ski,

Q1) My question is the cable only has 5 leads and the diagram shows 6 leads being connected. I see two of them go to shield, do I just jump off the single shield wire to both connectors or eliminate one?
A1) The Raystar 125's shield lead should be connected to pins 2 and 3.

Q2) Lastly, the unit has the Navionics US All-in-One Marine OEM CF/91SN V17 card installed. Will that card display land mass as I navigate in our bayous and along our gulf coast? When I run simulation mode I only see blue seas with no land mass. If not is there an add on card still available for this older unit for Northwest Florida (Pan Handle) that I can purchase.
A2) The detail of the cartography displayed is not affected by A60/A65's Simulator setting ... it is dependent upon the detail found within the Navionics chart card which will be inserted into the MFD's memory card reader. The Navionics Silver Chart card supplied with the A60/A65 included nautical charts for the coastal waters of the United States. As the A60/A65 are no longer supported, it is recommended that the chart card that you have be inserted into the MFD's memory card reader to verify that detailed cartography may be viewed for the coastal areas. If not, then it may indicate that the A65's memory card reader has suffered a failure ... this would necessitate replacement of the A65, as Raymarine can no longer service these displays. The A60/A65 Chartplotter/Fishfinders were designed for use with Navionics Silver, Gold, and HotMaps Premium cartography that was available at the time that the A60/A65 product line had been marketed. The Navionics web site does not list any of its presently manufactured chart cards as being compatible with A60/A65 Chartplotter / Fishfinders.
Thanks for the quick reply Chuck and the info. I got the connector all soldered to the RS125 cable and attached is what I'm getting. I believe I'm good to go, just want to make sure I didn't booger anything up. again thanks!
You're welcome. The system appears to be correctly functioning.
Reference URL's