Raymarine forum

Full Version: Interfacing AIS650 with SPX10 and C70
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and fairly new to owning a boat (which is in Greece). It is fitted out with Raymarine equipment, with which I have had one or two issues , but I am finding may way around it slowly. I would also like to add a n AIS 650 transceiver but am unsure how best to connect.

The system basically comprises of a SPX10 Smartpilot, ST6002 controller and C70 chartplotter, plus depth, wind, radio etc. I have attached a system schematic which came with the boat which I think is still current. The SPX 10 being the only change since date of installation.

Assuming I can add an AIS650, how is best to connect into the system? I understand it will need an independent GPS and VHF antenna, and needs the NMEA connections to be used. Will I need to re-configure the existing system to accommodate the AIS?

Also, the Raystar 125 feeds NMEA to the SPX10 and the VHF radio. As the NMEA output from the SPX10 only gives heading information, am I correct in assuming the C70 gets it’s position information via sea talk?

Thanks in anticipation.
Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Murphy95,

Please note that your system diagram indicates that you have a S2G Autopilot Course Computer rather than a SPX10 Autopilot Course Computer installed onboard the vessel.

It also appears that the installation is relying upon the autopilot course computer to bridge NMEA 0183 GPS data to SeaTalk. Please note that autopilot control heads and autopilot course computers are not designed to function as a full NMEA 0183 to SeaTalk data bridges. Autopilot devices will often only bridge data which is required by the autopilot to steer the boat, leaving other NMEA 0183 data items (ex. date/time, etc.) not bridged. We would have typically recommended that the NMEA 0183 output of the GPS sensor and NMEA 0183 output of the autopilot have been interfaced to NMEA 0183 input ports of a NMEA 0183 Multiplexer (ex. Actisense NDC-4, etc.). The NMEA 0183 output of the GPS sensor would have also been interfaced to NMEA 0183 input of the VHF radio and weather decoder. Installation in this manner would support supplying GPS data to the VHF radio and weather decoder without the MFD being powered ON. The NMEA 0183 output port of the NMEA 0183 Multiplexer would have in turn been interfaced the MFD's NMEA 0183 input port.

Addition of an AIS650 would simply be a matter when interfaced in the manner specified above. The MFD's NMEA 0183 input and output leads would be interfaced to the corresponding 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 input and output leads of the AIS650. The NMEA 0183 output port of the NMEA 0183 Multiplexer would then be interfaced to the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads of the AIS650.

The MFD should be updated with C-Series Classic MFD v5.16 software and then the MFD's AIS Objects layer will need to be configured to ON within the MFD's Chart application.
Thanks you very much Chuck for your speedy reply. As you pointed out the diagram does indicate the autopilot to be an S2G, but I mistakenly uploaded the unmodified diagram (now corrected). It is in fact a SPX10 which is fitted.

Your suggestions totally make sense to me. I will check out the installation when I go to the boat in 3 weeks time with a view to applying the modifications. Another advantage of your recommendations is that I will be able to check the satellite reception status on the MFD.
I have interfaced my AIS650 to my A50d as described with the NMEA data. These are the only two devices. The AIS650 is installed with its dedicated GPS antenna.

All works well, however

When the A50d internal GPS is enabled the time and date is wrong. When I disable the A50d internal GPS the time and date are correct but it drops any active GOTO within minutes of setting the GOTO.

Seems to be some sort of data conflict from the two GPS's.

Any solution ?

Dave
Dave,

The equipment specified will only support a single source of GPS data within the system. The AIS650 will rely upon GPS data from its own internal GPS receiver w/external antenn, while the C70 will use GPS data from the SeaTalk, SeaTalkng (via SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, or NMEA 0183 GPS Sensor which has been interfaced to the system. The AIS650 is not designed to function as a source of GPS data for the navigation system. Please ensure that you have not enabled the Output GNSS sentences from the AIS650 via the ProAIS2 software. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
Please ensure that you have not enabled the Output GNSS sentences from the AIS650 via the ProAIS2 software.

OK, I had them all checked.

Thanks.
You're welcome.
Reference URL's