Raymarine forum

Full Version: Upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am in the process of upgrading my electronics. The current system consists of an E80 Classic, E95 touchscreen and a 48" open array radar that is no longer working. So, I have decided to eliminate the "old" part of the system and upgrade it to a E97 (replace the E80) and a HD 48" Radar to replace the old antenna. I have attached a drawing of the new system, labeled PROPOSED. So, right off the bat, my questions are as follows;
-It appears to me that I need to use a E66066 cable to connect the P319 transducer to the E97?
-If I want to use MARPA, I will need the Fast Heading sensor which is now connected to the E80 via NMEA0183 and a SeaTalk E55054 cable. According to the manual, I should seek technical help for connecting this to the E97.
-I have connected the Radar directly to the MFD via the SeaTalk HS connection. I believe this is correct.

Anyway, I would appreciate input on the system connections/errors/corrections etc.
Thanks in advance
Brian
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Brian,

Comments:
- Fusion 700 Series and 750 Series radios feature a RJ45 (F) socket. Accordingly, these radios may be interfaced to the Ethernet Network socket of an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD or HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RJ45 (M) Cable.

- Only the MFD which will be used as the system's Data Master MFD need be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone.

- In order to share all system resources and data (except for NTSC/PAL video), the MFDs must be interfaced to one another either of the following methods:
----- install an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable between an Ethernet Network socket of the e95 MFD and e97 MFD.
----- install a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Interface the Digital Radar Cable to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Interface the Ethernet Ethernet Network socket of the e95 MFD and e97 MFD to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via appropriate lengths of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. Interface the Fusion Stereo to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RJ45 (M) Cable.

- While the NMEA 0183 output of a SHS may be interfaced to one of the NMEA 0183 input ports of either MFD, please note that the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs do not feature support for linearization and alignment of a SHS. As such the SeaTalk communications link which you have shown from the SHS to the e97 MFD is not valid. Accordingly, should such calibrations need to be performed in the future, then the SHS would need to be replaced and it would typically be recommended that an EV-1 Sensor Core be used as the replacement for a SHS.

- Should the P319 have been designed for use with a DSM250, DSM30, DSM300, CP300, or CP370, then it may be adapted to be mated to the e97 MFDs Transducer socket via an E66066 Transducer Adapter as you have suggested.
Thanks for the reply and information.

"Comments:
- Fusion 700 Series and 750 Series radios feature a RJ45 (F) socket. Accordingly, these radios may be interfaced to the Ethernet Network socket of an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD or HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RJ45 (M) Cable."

Noted. I actually had misrepresented my current system a bit. I have a netgear switch in the mix too. This switch is mounted in the cabin and serves to connect two Axis network cameras as well as the Fusion Stereo to the E95. I have included that part of the system in my updated drawing.

"- Only the MFD which will be used as the system's Data Master MFD need be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone."

I have made the correction in my updated drawing which now shows only the E97 connected to the system backbone.

"- In order to share all system resources and data (except for NTSC/PAL video), the MFDs must be interfaced to one another either of the following methods:
----- install an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable between an Ethernet Network socket of the e95 MFD and e97 MFD.
----- install a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Interface the Digital Radar Cable to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Interface the Ethernet Ethernet Network socket of the e95 MFD and e97 MFD to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via appropriate lengths of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. Interface the Fusion Stereo to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RJ45 (M) Cable."

I have updated the drawing to show the E97 and E95 networked together with a A62361 Raynet (F) to Raynet (F) cable.

"- While the NMEA 0183 output of a SHS may be interfaced to one of the NMEA 0183 input ports of either MFD, please note that the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs do not feature support for linearization and alignment of a SHS. As such the SeaTalk communications link which you have shown from the SHS to the e97 MFD is not valid. Accordingly, should such calibrations need to be performed in the future, then the SHS would need to be replaced and it would typically be recommended that an EV-1 Sensor Core be used as the replacement for a SHS."

I want to be sure that I understand your reply to this question. It is possible to use the Smart Heading System connected ONLY via NMEA0183 (remove the SeaTalk connection)? If I can use the SHS in that manor, then I understand you to say that if I ever needed to make any calibrations in the future, I would need to add an EV-1 Sensor core (shown in my updated drawing)?

"- Should the P319 have been designed for use with a DSM250, DSM30, DSM300, CP300, or CP370, then it may be adapted to be mated to the e97 MFDs Transducer socket via an E66066 Transducer Adapter as you have suggested."

My current system does in fact include a DSM300.

Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to your reply.
Brian,

Q1. I want to be sure that I understand your reply to this question. It is possible to use the Smart Heading System connected ONLY via NMEA0183 (remove the SeaTalk connection)? If I can use the SHS in that manor, then I understand you to say that if I ever needed to make any calibrations in the future, I would need to add an EV-1 Sensor core (shown in my updated drawing)?
A1. Indeed the e97 MFD should only be shown as being interfaced to the SHS via NMEA 0183 ... specifically, SHS NMEA 0183 OUT -> e97 MFD Port 1 or Port 2 IN. Your drawing correctly shows the installation of an EV-1 Sensor Core in place of a SHS.
Chuck,
I did of course only attach the one drawing showing the EV-1 Sensor core and am glad that you have confirmed it as correct. Relating back to the SHS....Looking in the a Series/ c Series / e Series Installation instructions, page 39 section 4.5 it shows item 8 as being the NMEA 0183 data cables. So, assuming that the E97 comes with the combined power and data cable (I have no clue?) how is the connection made from the MFD to the SHS? The cable from the MFD shows 6 wires. For the short term at least, if I can get by using the SHS, I can save a few bucks on the total cost of my upgrade.
Thank you.
Brian,

The SHS will need to be powered via its power terminals. Should you opt to interface the SHS to the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port one, then the SHS's NMEA 0183 OUT+ terminal will be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA Port 1 IN+ (white) lead. Additionally, the SHS's NMEA 0183 OUT- terminal will be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA Port 1 IN- (green) lead.
Chuck,

I have a follow up question related to my upgrade now that I have received my HD Digital Open Array Radar.

In the installation instructions, Section 3.8 page 25 it talks about the VCM100 power and grounding requirements. They advise that the VCM100 must be connected to a battery isolator switch or a DC distribution panel. Then in Section 3.11 and 3.12 on page 28 they discuss Circuit Breaker and Fuse ratings as well as sharing a breaker.

So, it would appear to me that I have two options. Using a Battery Isolator to provide power to the VCM100 with either a thermal breaker or fuse in line
or
Share power from an existing breaker (which already has a battery isolator switch in the circuit) and then providing for the appropriate fuse in the leg providing power to the VCM100.

I look forward to your input.
mpo881,

While either of the installation options which you have specified are acceptable, it is recommended that radomes and open array radar pedestals be powered from dedicated power circuit which permits power to the radome or pedestal to be switched OFF without affecting the power state of the marine electronic system's other devices.
Thanks for the information. Now, as I am looking things over I have a question related to placement of the VCM in relation to the Fluxgate compass? The way my helm is constructed it would be easiest to mount the VCM about 12" away from the fluxgate. I did not notice any specifications related to that specific detail. Most likely because most installations would include a EV-1 instead.

Thanks again and I look forward to your comments

Brian
Brian,

Magnetic north seeking devices should not be installed within 3' of high current carrying conductors, electric motors, speakers, or other items which have been constructed with magnets or feature ferrous materials. Accordingly, it is not recommended that the EV-1 Sensor Core or Raymarine's M81190 be installed within 3' of an open array radar VCM or any items matching the above description.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's