Raymarine forum

Full Version: MOB functions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kramp Electronics, Seal Cove, ME just installed an eS97 on my 1997 Sabre 362 sloop. I also have a Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF for AIS reception and a SmartPilot SPX-10.

Because I often sail alone, I am considering installation of a device (WamBlee info below) which detects DSC & AIS MOB alarms from personal AIS/DSC beacons. It can then shut down the engine. I also hope it can disable the SmartPilot which, if sailing, would cause the boat to head up into the wind.

A couple questions:
1. Can I achieve some, or all, of the same results through the eS97?
2. If installing the WamBlee, what would be the best way to disable the SmartPilot?
3. I see the eS97 can sound an alarm.

I see that Raymarine has a very sophisticated and expensive looking digital switching system requiring special networking equipment etc. I am wondering if the above can be done without getting into all that. The WamBlee unit is $300.

Info on the WamBlee is located here: http://www.wamblee.it/marittimo/w440/?lang=en
1. It shuts down the engine through either a normally open or normally closed switching circuit. These two circuits have a common leg.
The ignition wire could run through the normally closed circuit, verified by Westerbeke distributor.
If the best way to disable the SmartPilot is by cutting power, then both the SmartPilot & engine might need to be cut by a relays so power is not backfed through the common leg.
2. Would the following, per the manual, be useful in achieving the results I am looking for?
“The W440 is able to generate a NMEA 0183 sentence (4800 baud) repeated every two seconds. This ruling is as follows: $PWBEE,MOB_SWITCH,ON*<crc> where: ON = as close contact
Further clarification on the use of this NMEA sentence can be requested directly to our technical department.”

WamBlee manual w/wiring attached.
Thanks very much
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dhs.short,

General Comment: The list of NMEA 0183 sentences supported by the eS-Series MFDs may be found within the appendices of the LightHouse II Release 17 Operating Instructions. The $PWBEE NMEA 0183 sentence is not supported by Raymarine MFDs.

Q1. Can I achieve some, or all, of the same results through the eS97?
A1. Should a MOB be commanded via the Raymarine MFD or LifeTag, then any navigation which had previously been commanded via the MFD will be cancelled and all navigational range and bearing data will reflect range and bearing to the MOB.

Q2. If installing the WamBlee, what would be the best way to disable the SmartPilot?
A2. The SPX10/30 Autopilot Course Computers and Evolution ACU-200/300/400 ACUs feature Sleep switch contacts. When a closed circuit is created between these contacts, operation of the autopilot is then disabled. Should the system be installed in a manner where the ACU is supplying power to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, then the backbone will continue to be powered by the ACU when is Sleep mode has been triggered. Should the W440 be capable of creating this closed circuit, then the autopilot will be disabled.

Q3. I see the eS97 can sound an alarm.
A3. It appears that you may have incorrectly understood the documentation for this product. At this time, only Raymarine's gS-Series MFDs feature an external alarm port. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
Thanks Chuck
Q1. I am guessing this would not happen but the answer to Q1 sounds like it would be possible, if I was motoring with Smart Pilot was in track mode, and I fell overboard, the MFD would then turn the boat and run me down.

Q2. The WamBlee does have switching contacts, so that should be able to be done.

Q3. Is the reference to an alarm in the documentation simply a beep at the MFD?
Thanks again and happy ho ho ho
dhs.short,

Q1. I am guessing this would not happen but the answer to Q1 sounds like it would be possible, if I was motoring with Smart Pilot was in track mode, and I fell overboard, the MFD would then turn the boat and run me down.
A1. The autopilot will revert to Auto mode, not Track mode upon a MOB event.

Q2. The WamBlee does have switching contacts, so that should be able to be done.
A2. It is recommended that WamBlee documention or its manufacturer be contacted regarding how the WamBlee cause a closed circuit between the course computer's Sleep terminals referenced within my initial response. It is possible that the Wamblee may need to trigger a relay to create the closed circuit.

Q3. Is the reference to an alarm in the documentation simply a beep at the MFD?
A3. A MOB will cause the following visible/audible notifications:
- the system's MFDs will produce an audible alarm sound
- the system's MFDs will display a MOB alert dialog
- the databars of the system's MFDs will be populated with range and bearing data to the MOB's location
- any i70 or ST70 MFIDs in the system will produce an audible alarm sound
- any i70 or ST70 MFIDs in the system will display a MOB alert providing range and bearing data to the MOB's location
Q2. The switching has both a normally open and a normally closed terminal with a common leg. Given that I want to use the normally closed for the engine cutoff and thought I might need the normally open for the autopilot, I thought that activating a relay for both would likely be the best to avoid backfeeding through the common leg.
Thanks
dhs.short,

If you're not adverse to installing relays, they would indeed supply the added measure of isolation specified.
Reference URL's