Raymarine forum

Full Version: Dragonfly 7 pro transducer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm installing a dragonfly transducer under the setback step on a Ranger 520VX with the trolling motor/step bracket......I don't need readings at speed...this transducer has the cable coming out the back ....my question is can I mount this ducer with it pointing to the front of the boat....that way I can mount it close to the back of the step with the wire running up the back of the boat....will this installation affect my sounder readings on it??? I'm assuming that the sounder beams are going streight down and should not affect operation........if it has to be mounted normally then I would have a large loop in the wire that I would need to deal with....

I did read the other install links and wasn't comfortable with those because my waters are very shallow. Thanks
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jerry,

When operating a trolling speeds, I would not expect that the CHIRP (conical) sonar imaging would be affected at all. However, I would expect reversal of the image (i.e. objects which would normally be presented on the right hand side of the image to instead be rendered on the left side of the image) when viewing DownVision sonar. All of this said and per our conversation yesterday, I still have a concern that the transducer may be exposed to forces in excess of what it was designed to withstand when installed 180 degrees from its intended mounting orientation and then exposed to the forces associated with a high speed flow of water over, around, and beneath it. Specifically, my concern is that the resulting forces may cause the transducer's bracket to fracture at its pivot point.
Thanks Chuck....I ended up mounting the ducer the way it's suppose to be ..... the loop isn't as bad as I thought ..... I tie wrapped the wire close against the mount using the holes for trolling motor......

There is a round grommet the size of a quarter about 4" above ducer on wire.... I tried to slide it but couldn't get it to move.... What is that for???

Thanks for all the info Chuck
The plastic disk which has been molded onto the transducer's power cable designed to protect the cable from chafing against the transom (note that the cable exits the transducer body in a direction which is angled upward and toward the transom) Should this disk be in your way, then you may want to consider carefully filing or cutting it from the cable.
Reference URL's