Raymarine forum

Full Version: a95 MFD installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm installing a a95 MFD on a sailboat (2004 model). The boat currently has (1) Raymarine wheel auto pilot, (2) Raymarine Wind (true & apparent speed & direction), and (3) Raymarine Tridata (speed, depth, temp). ST60s ? These 3 instruments seem to be the old NMEA 0183 setup (Seatalk). I'm also installing a Quantum radar (Wifi only). The current 'Speed/Depth' instrument has a Seatalk (0183) cable out to the 'Wind'. The 'Wind' has a similar Seatalk cable out to the Autopilot.

Questions:

1. I purchased a Seatalk to Seatalkng converter cable. If I run it from the Auto Pilot to the a95 Seatalkng port, will the data info from all three older Raymarine instrument pass over to the a95? Will the a95 also talk back to the Auto Pilot (e.g., waypoints?)?

2. Can I use the provided a95 power/data cable for power only (connecting to the a95 Power/Video/0183 port), and then disregard the video cable and the multiple small gauge (to instruments, etc.)? If question #1 above is a yes then I assume I don't need to use the 6 small gauge wires to connect to the other instruments.

3. On the a95 cable in question #2, if I'm reading the manual correctly, the single black small gauge wire (ground drain wire) would go directly to the battery on certain types of installations. Would I need it on my installation described above?

Much thanks for your help,

Mike
Q1: These 3 instruments seem to be the old NMEA 0183 setup (Seatalk).
A1: Should the subject instruments be ST60s, then they are designed to be interfaced to one another via SeaTalk communications, not NMEA 0183.

Q2. I purchased a Seatalk to Seatalkng converter cable. If I run it from the Auto Pilot to the a95 Seatalkng port, will the data info from all three older Raymarine instrument pass over to the a95? Will the a95 also talk back to the Auto Pilot (e.g., waypoints?)?
A2. The method which you have described is not the correct means of interfacing these products. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3. Can I use the provided a95 power/data cable for power only (connecting to the a95 Power/Video/0183 port), and then disregard the video cable and the multiple small gauge (to instruments, etc.)? If question #1 above is a yes then I assume I don't need to use the 6 small gauge wires to connect to the other instruments.
A3. While it may only be necessary to use the power leads within the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable, the MFD will need to be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone described within the FAQ referenced within the response to Q2.

Q4. On the a95 cable in question #2, if I'm reading the manual correctly, the single black small gauge wire (ground drain wire) would go directly to the battery on certain types of installations. Would I need it on my installation described above?
Q4. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
Reference URL's