Raymarine forum

Full Version: Networking MFD e97 to SmartPilot X-5 via Seatalkng Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cannot get my new MFD e97 to recognize and communicate with my X-5 SmartPilot. I used a Seatalkng spur cable to go from the SPX-5 course computer Seatalkng connections to the SeaTalkng connection on the back of the e97. The e97 has an independent power source. The SPX-5 is suppose to be a bridge between SeaTalk and SeaTalkng Next, I turned on the Autopilot control from the Homescreen>Set-up>System Settings>Autopilot Control>On and I enabled the Pilot Bar from the Customize screen. The e97 does not show an autopilot connected and I cannot get the e97 recognize an SPX-5 present. The X-5 autopilot works great through the ST 6001 control head. Checked all connections between the SPX-5 and the e97 and look correct. The X-5 worked fine with the previous chart plotter, a Standard Horizon CP 300. The CP 300 was connected through the NMEA 0183. Any input on how to get the e97 to communicate with the X-5 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum sailrj,

SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 devices are each designed to be interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone rather than as you have indicated. Additionally, Raymarine's X-Series autopilots are not designed to function as complete SeaTalk to SeaTalkng data bridging devices. Accordingly, it is recommended that the SeaTalk bus be disconnected from the X5 and that it instead be interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s) which will be installed as a backbone component within the backbone which will be installed. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to interface products having a SeaTalk interface to a SeaTalkng backbone, to which the Data Master MFD and SPX5 will also be interfaced. Following installation, it is recommended that the SPX5 and SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter each be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates.
Chuck,
Very much appreciate the prompt reply and the info on the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter. After studying your recommendations and the FAQ you suggested, I think I understand what I need. Ordered the converter, block and needed cables. Plan on connecting all tomorrow- will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
You're welcome.
Reference URL's