Raymarine forum

Full Version: RL80C upgrade to axiom
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have purchased the Axiom and radar and they are awaiting install. Regarding the autopilot, I have the Raypilot RP650 still on boat. Is there an advantage to upgrading the autopilot? does the Evolution track better than the Raypilot RP650? what is the reason to upgrade other than getting it all done at once? is there a reason not to upgrade? Thanks!
Joe,

Q. I have purchased the Axiom and radar and they are awaiting install. Regarding the autopilot, I have the Raypilot RP650 still on boat. Is there an advantage to upgrading the autopilot? does the Evolution track better than the Raypilot RP650? what is the reason to upgrade other than getting it all done at once? is there a reason not to upgrade? Thanks!

A. It could be argued that the Evolution autopilots are the best autopilots which Raymarine has ever produced. The Evolution autopilot compensate for vessel motion not compensated for by prior generations of Raymarine autopilots. Evolution autopilots also significantly improved heading data performance over autopilot. This results in better radar overlay performance and greater accuracy in the system's other data and features which are dependent upon heading data. Finally, Evolution autopilots support steering the vessel in fishing patterns.
my complaint with the current autopilot is that it is always trying to stay on the line between the boat and the next waypoint, and therefore, if there is any sea, the boat will make subtle S turns on either side of the directional line all the way to the target waypoint, which increases the distance traveled and the fuel spent, not to mention the increased time and overall annoyance of the constant over-correction. Does the new autopilot fix this so the boat goes straight to the target without the S pattern? autocorrection for wind and waves effect?

Thanks
Joe,

When operating in Track mode, the autopilot's function is to maintain the vessel's position with a user configured corridor either side of the course line while moving in the direction of the destination waypoint. The width of the corridor is controlled via the autopilot's Response Level configuration setting. When configured to the Performance setting, the autopilot will maintain the tightest course with minimal s-ing, while the Leisure setting will steer a looser course to minimize the amount of power consumption by the autopilot.
Chuck,
I have decided to replace everything. I will have 2 axiom 12 screens (one with sonar), ACU 200 autopilot, quantum radar, P70Rs control, RMK-10, and EV1. I plan to keep my transducer from the L760 and my GPS antenna. I have read where you have indicated that an HS5 is necessary. I have also seen wiring with a standard seatalking backbone without an HS5. The question is, what do i need to buy for the backbone to connect the above equipment? If I need the HS5, what should be connected to it or should everything? can some of it be connected to a standard backbone cable? I cannot read anywhere that RMK-10 is compatible with axiom. Can you confirm? Can I use the RMK-10 to control both screens?

Will the A80489 Adapter Cable plug into the backbone or directly to axiom?

If you can help me with exactly what I need to connect everything above, I can get this done. it has been quite a learning curve and I don't want to make any mistakes. I appreciate all your help so far!
Joe,

You will need to create powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone having sufficient spur sockets to accommodate interfacing the Data Master MFD, ACU-200, EV-1 Sensor Core, p70RS, and a SeaTalkng Power Cable as spurs to the backbone. The T70156 EV-200 Power package included the ACU-200, EV-1 Sensor Core, p70RS, as well as the SeaTalkng networking components (including a sufficient number of spur sockets) required to interface the Evolution autopilot components and SeaTalkng Power Cable. Additional spur sockets will need to be added to the backbone to accommodate interfacing the Data Master MFD to the SeaTalkng backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how additional spur sockets may be added to a SeaTalkng backbone to accommodate interfacing additional SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 devices to the backbone. An A06045 15.7in (0.4m) DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter or A06075 39.4in (1.0m) DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter will be is used to interface the Data Master MFD to the SeaTalkng backbone. To view more about SeaTalkng networking and SeaTalkng networking components, click here.

Of the devices listed, the Axiom MFDs and RMK-10 have Ethernet communications interfaces and are correspondingly designed to be interfaced to one another via an Ethernet network. Should a wired communications interface to the Quantum radar be desired, then it would constitute a fourth device having an Ethernet communications interface. Failure to interface these devices via an Ethernet network will prevent the MFDs from sharing any of the following resources:
- LightHouse, Navionics, or C-Map cartography
- Radar
- Fishfinder sonar
- SiriusXM Satellite Marine Weather/Radio
- IP Camera Video
- FLIR M100/200 Series thermal camera video & control
- RMK-9/10 remote control

As the Axiom MFD feature a single Ethernet communications port, they will only accommodate being interfaced to one other compatible device having an Ethernet communications interface ... unless a HS5 RayNet Network Switch is installed. When interface via a HS5 RayNet Network Switch, the RMK-10 will be able to remotely control both Axiom MFDs with the introduction of the next LightHouse 3 software update for Axiom MFDs. Should it be acceptable that the MFDs not share the above listed resources then each MFD would be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone ... while possible, this is not the recommended way to interface these MFDs.

In order to identify which fishfinder transducer adapter may be used with your currently installed transducer, it will be necessary to positively identify your currently installed fishfinder transducer. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to positively identify the currently installed fishfinder transducer.
So to be clear, I will need to purchase separate ray net cables (4) to connect the radar, 2 screens, and RMK-10 to the HS5. The radar cable will need to be long enough to reach the radome. Correct? in addition, each piece will need to be connected to a backbone with spurs so I will need spurs from the 2 MFDs, ACU-200, EV-1 Sensor Core, p70RS, Radar, and a SeaTalkng Power Cable as spurs to the backbone. Is this correct? I do not want the WIFI radar and therefore plan on wiring it. So therefore, the radar has 2 wires to it (ray net cable to the HS5 and spur to the backbone)?

Also, is there a way to order the P70RS as part of the package? that package has the P70R, but not the P70RS?

Thanks again.
Joe,

Q1. I will need to purchase separate ray net cables (4) to connect the radar, 2 screens, and RMK-10 to the HS5. The radar cable will need to be long enough to reach the radome. Correct?
A1. You will need to purchase three RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cables of sufficient length to interface the RMK-10 and each MFD to the HS5 Raynet Network Switch. Should a Quantum Q24C Radome be purchased, then it would be recommended that a A80308 Quantum Adapter Cable and an appropriate length of Digital Radar Cable be purchased to interface the radome to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. As the Digital Radar Cable features power and communications leads, a Quantum Power Cable will not need to be installed. In addition to interfacing the Digital Radar Cable to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch, the Digital Radar Cable's power leads will be connected to a switched 12 or 24 VDC power circuit. By using a Digital Radar Cable, only one cable need be chased to the radome.

Q2. Each piece will need to be connected to a backbone with spurs so I will need spurs from the 2 MFDs, ACU-200, EV-1 Sensor Core, p70RS, Radar, and a SeaTalkng Power Cable as spurs to the backbone.
A2. Incorrect. Of the two MFDs, only the MFD which will be designated as the system's Data Master MFD must be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone. The radome will not be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone. From a communication standpoint, the Quantum radome will be interfaced to HS5 RayNet Network Switch alone.

Q3. Is there a way to order the P70RS as part of the package? that package has the P70R, but not the P70RS?
A3. Several months ago, the p70RS replaced the p70R. T70156 EV-200 Power package now includes the p70RS.
The transducer on the boat is M78726. Can you tell me what adapter I need to make this work with the axiom? and does it plug directly into one of the axiom screens?

Thanks,
joe
will the quantum data cable that came with my radar connect to the HS5 or do I need to purchase an adapter?

also, what adapter do I need to connect raystar 125 or raystar 130 antenna (still not sure which one I have so I will order both) to the backbone?

thank you
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's