Raymarine forum

Full Version: VHF Ray 55 Receiver issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a (4 year old) Ray 55 that can transmit fine but does not receive signals. I've verified the transmit using a handheld and can communicate with other boats and bridges just fine. The problem is in the receiver. There is static when I open the squelch, and unless the transmitting station is very close to my boat, I don't hear anything. If an adjacent boat transmits, I can BEARLY hear the transmission in the static with the squelch open. It won't break the squelch if it's set to just above full quiet. I also cannot receive any weather stations. My portable marine radio can pick them up just fine while next to the Ray 55. I've put a new extention antenna on the Ray55, replaced the PL259 and verified all the connections are good and the voltage is WNL. Problem started last season.

I've seen a number of posts on the web that seem to indicate this becoming a common failure for this radio. Sounds like an issue with one of the crystals in the receiver. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, how was the problem corrected?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum saustop,

Please click here to view the FAQ addressing this subject. Should you have checked each of the items listed within the FAQ and found no fault with power, the VHF antenna, or the VHF radio's settings, then it would be recommended that the Ray55 be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
Chuck
I can receive on the Ray 55 from my hand held a few feet from the boat. Not sure if this fact changes anything.

What is the average turn around time for a bench check and repair for this type of problem?
saustop,

The diagnosis would not be altered based on performance with via your handheld. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Essentially, the litmus test is the ability to receive Weather channels.

Average repair time is 7-10 business days. That said, we're on the cusp of entering our busy time of year. Accordingly, the sooner that the VHF radio can get to the Repair Center, then more likely that the repair time will be to the specified average repair time.
Chuck,

Update on my Ray 55. I didn't send the radio in for repairs because of the $175.00 repair fee. Could just buy new radio. However, I was speaking to a gentleman in the marine store and I asked about the VHF antennas. The antenna on my boat is the
Shakespeare Centennial 5101 Antenna which according to the marine salesman is a very poor antenna. Although it has a 6db rating, not good for distance.
He told me to try the Shakespeare 5225-XT VHF Antenna. He said I could return the antenna if the radio still has an issue.

After installing the new antenna I could finally receive the WX and other transmissions. Apparently the 5101 antenna isn't a very good antenna and I believe that is why the radio received transmission that were close to the boat but none from any distance.

Thought you would like to know!
saustop,

Thanks for the update. I would have expected that antenna related issues would have been verified via a VSWR check of the VHF antenna.
Reference URL's