Raymarine forum

Full Version: SPX5 wheel pilot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 2010 SPX5 wheel pilot with C90W MFD and ST60+. The motor is not operating, the case where the cable connects is cracked. Question 1, can I get a replacement motor for this system, where and how much?
Question 2, can I convert this system to a linear hydreaulic drive and get rid of the wheel mounted system without replacing the course computer, drive head and MFD?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mauruuru,

If seeking to replace the wheel drive with a hydraulic or mechanical linear drive, it would unfortunately be necessary to the replace the autopilot course computer, as the X5 was not designed to accommodate the power requirements of a hydraulic or mechanical linear drive. While replacing the X5 with an Evolution autopilot system would require replacement of the autopilot course computer and control head, doing so would not necessitate replacement of the MFD or any ST60+ instruments.

Autopilot drives are manufactured with reversing DC motors. The drive's motor may be tested by connecting its leads directly to a 12 or 24 VDC power circuit. Reversing the drive leads connection to the 12 or 24 VDC power circuit will permit the drive motor to be tested for reverse direction operation. Should wheel drive's case be cracked and its motor not be running, then it would be recommended that the wheel drive be replaced or sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
Your response indicated the course computer could not drive a linear drive but what about the linear HYDRAULIC actuator---isn't that just a reversible motor pumping hydraulic fluid.....Does it take more power than a direct drive DC motor turning the wheel?
mauruuru,

The X5 autopilot course computer is not spec'd to be used with any autopilot drive actuators other than a Wheel Drive, a Sport Drive (a retired powerboat wheel drive), or a mechanical Tiller Drive. The power requirements of other drive units exceed the specifications for the X5 autopilot course computer. Installation of a Hydraulic Linear Drive would require replacement of the X5 with a retired X30 autopilot course computer or its current equivalent, the T70161 EV-400 Sail.
Ok thanks. Based on your response I disassembled the drivemotor and found a broken lead and soldered it back onto the motor terminal. Works now so I guess I can wait to rip out the course computer for a while
You're welcome.
Reference URL's