Raymarine forum

Full Version: Connecting Horizon gx2200 GPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have:
i50 speed, i50 depth, i60 wind instruments. They are connected to each other, and powered directly. There is no SeatalkNG backbone.

Standard Horizon GX2200 with built in GPS and NMEA outputs.

A laptop and USB-RS-422 interface.

I have tested the GX2200 directly to the laptop, and that works. I want to also connect the GX2200 to the instruments to provide them with GPS data, and also provide instrument data to the laptop.

I purchased the VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit thinking that would work, but after reading the manual don't think that it will. It seems that it will only provide GPS data *to* a radio from the SeatalkNG network, not the other way. It also doesn't seem to support anything other than GPS data, so won't help get instrument data to my laptop.

What do I need to interface the gx2200 GPS to the instruments, and then take the combined instrument and GPS data and interface to the laptop?

Are the VHF NMEA converter and the Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG converters the same device, just with different cables supplied? Or are they completely different?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum wholybee,

Q: I purchased the VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit thinking that would work, but after reading the manual don't think that it will. It seems that it will only provide GPS data *to* a radio from the SeatalkNG network, not the other way. It also doesn't seem to support anything other than GPS data, so won't help get instrument data to my laptop.
A: Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As the FAQ and you have suggested, the VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit is not designed to support the end which you are seeking. Instead, it is recommended that a 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) or a 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 data bridging device supporting AIS data (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS, etc.) (should the GX2200 also function as an AIS receiver) be used to interface the GX2200 to the SeaTalkng backbone.
Reference URL's