Raymarine forum

Full Version: All instruments showing dashes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a network of i70 instrument heads that show speed, depth, wind, AIS, etc. They have been working for a number of years and suddenly started showing dashes. All instrument heads are on/powered but no data is being shown from any of the transducers or sources. So not a power issue as the displays are lit up, which should mean that this isn't a problem with a cable coming loose. Seems to be a Seatalk issue. I also checked the 5-way connector and it is showing a green light so network seems powered up. Chart plotter still working fine, though not getting any data like depth or wind from the network either.

Wondering what might cause this. Could it be a terminator fell off? Something else? Happened suddenly while sailing so no other system changes took place to trigger it.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Doug,

It's certainly worth verifying that the system has two (no more, no less) termination plugs installed and that they have been installed within the backbone sockets forming the two extreme ends of the SeaTalkng backbone. If so, then attention will need to be directed to the source of instrument data. Please note that the i70 MFIDs are dependent upon an iTC-5 or instrument transducer pods within the backbone, or other instruments within the system. What are each of the currently installed instrument transducers directly connected to?
Hmm, good question. I must have an ITC-5 if it is required because the system has been working for a couple years. I just don't remember if I was looking at that or the AIS100 splitter. I guess your point is that the ITC-5 might be the point of failure that would knock out all instrument data if it failed? But that wouldn't explain the lack of AIS data on the instruments, though AIS data is showing on the MFD, and the autopilot display also not showing any data. Definitely have a ST to STng connector in the system also.

I will check the terminators and the ITC-5.

Thanks.
Doug,

Q1. I guess your point is that the ITC-5 might be the point of failure that would knock out all instrument data if it failed?
A1. You will indeed need to ascertain which device(s) the instrument transducer have been interfaced to. This may indeed be the source of your instrument problem. The documentation for the iTC-5 (if installed) includes information for understanding the flash codes of the iTC-5's Status LED.

Q2. I guess your point is that the ITC-5 might be the point of failure that would knock out all instrument data if it failed?
A2. In systems lacking a heading data source AIS data may not be displayed unless a source of GPS data has been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone and the vessel is making way (to supply the system with COG data).

It is recommended that you ensure that the correct MFD (if more than one is installed onboard) has been designated as the system's Data Master. Other than that, the system is essentially tested by disconnecting all devices from the SeaTalkng backbone except for two that communications may be verified between. Devices are then added to the backbone one by one to verify whether they can communicate with the system. Devices which are not communicating with the system or cause the system to cease communicating when installed will then need to be serviced.
Reference URL's