Raymarine forum

Full Version: C-Series Classic - AIS over STNG/NMEA2000?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi -

I have a c series classic at the helm. It has a Seatalk2 connection to the rest of the boat. On the Seatalk2 network is an ST70 autopilot head connected to our X10 "computer" via STNG - so the ST70 is bridging Seatalk2 and STNG.

Can I hook an AIS unit to the STNG network via devicenet/nmea2000 and pick up the info on the MFD, bridged by the ST70 to Seatalk2?

Thanks!
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum labatt,

There are two issues with your statements/questions:

Q1) It has a Seatalk2 connection to the rest of the boat. On the Seatalk2 network is an ST70 autopilot head connected to our X10 "computer" via STNG - so the ST70 is bridging Seatalk2 and STNG.
A1) The C-Series Classic MFDs were not designed and tested to support SeaTalkng communications. Accordingly, the MFD's SeaTalk2 port should be disconnected from the SeaTalkng backbone. Instead the SeaTalk bus to which the MFD may have been interfaced should be branched and connected to the SeaTalk port of the X10.

Q2. Can I hook an AIS unit to the STNG network via devicenet/nmea2000 and pick up the info on the MFD, bridged by the ST70 to Seatalk2?
A2. No. The software of the C-Series MFDs is not designed to process NMEA 2000 PGNs containing AIS data. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
Reference URL's