Raymarine forum

Full Version: Wind Vane
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a new masttop windvane that feeds a new i70 display (as well as a new MFD es98 on the network). It worked fine for a few weeks, but now suddenly only displays the wind speed... the yellow direction arrow is always at 6 O'Clock and steady. When I disconnected the plug at the bottom of my mast, the speed and the yellow arrow (that was pointing down) both disappeared... when reconnected, both come back on the same as before.. showing wind speed but only a yellow needle pointing down again. From the deck I can see (thru binoculars) that the masttop vane seems to be both spinning AND following the wind direction. Any idea why it suddenly stopped reporting wind direction?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum bbistis,

The reported issue may be indicative of a cable failure or a failure with of the wind transducer. The cable may be tested by disconnecting the masthead and then performing a continuity test to check for both continuity and to ensure that no shorts (continuity sensed on more than one pin of the masthead mount) are detected. Should the cable test not identify any faults, then Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test the masthead. Should the masthead testing not indicate a fault with the masthead, then the wind instrument would be determined to have failed. Should the cable have failed, then it should be replaced. Should the masthead have failed and it has been purchased within the last 30 days, then it should be returned to the dealer or sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
Thx Chuck, but please forgive my ignorance... when you say "check continuity" of the masthead cable, does that mean climbing the mast and testing each colored wire end at the same time (at top & bottom of mast)... practically speaking, how is that generally accomplished?

Also, assuming the cable is good, i understand checking the transducer as the link described, but my transducer wires have TWO green leads... not sure which is "shield". Can you tell me by looking at the pic I've sent?

Oh, and one more follow-up question, would the iTC5 connections be implicated as well?
bbistis,

Q1. When you say "check continuity" of the masthead cable, does that mean climbing the mast and testing each colored wire end at the same time (at top & bottom of mast)... practically speaking, how is that generally accomplished?
A1. As indicated, testing begins with masthead wind transducer test ... this test is performed by performing voltage tests at the iTC-5 or wind instrument end of the wind transducer's cable. Should no reading be measured on any of the wind transducer test items, then the fault may be rooted within the wind transducer or its cable. Should continuity testing need to be performed, then it may most effectively be performed with two people ... one up the mast and the other at the cable's end. Certified Raymarine Installers are available to perform such testing should you be unable to do so.

Q2. Assuming the cable is good, i understand checking the transducer as the link described, but my transducer wires have TWO green leads... not sure which is "shield". Can you tell me by looking at the pic I've sent?
A2. The plug shown within your photo is not of Raymarine origin ... nor is the heavier green wire shown within your photo. I suspect that the heavier green wire has been spliced to your wind transducer cable. It would be necessary to trace the cable back to the splice to verify this and to identify which lead (if any) it has been spliced to.

Q3. Would the iTC5 connections be implicated as well?
A3. All cable/transducer testing should initially be performed from the leads which are presently connected to the iTC-5 to permit the cable's full length to be tested. Naturally, the connection of the wires to the 1/8" spade connectors used to mate the leads to the iTC-5's wind transducer terminals should also be inspected.
Reference URL's