Raymarine forum

Full Version: Can a DF 7 Pro transducer CPT-DVS be used as a thru hull
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just purchased a DF 7 Pro yesterday after a TON of research on the unit itself......but really didnt pay attention to the transducer.......NOT GOOD

I am also a member of various Yamaha Forums (Jetboaters and Yamaha Jet Boaters) and searched for info on transom locates.

Im begining to understand that I should be going to the thru hull.

The unit that came with the DF 7 Pro is the CPT-DVS Transom mount CHIRP DownVisionâ„¢ and conventional CHIRP sonar transducer.

I really dont want to spend 300 on an install to not have it work and then have 4 patched holes in my boat....

Can someone help me out please
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Timothy,

Unfortunately, a transom mounted transducer would not be recommended for this application. Any transducer installed onboard would have to be located forward of the jet drive's intake grate and any other thru-hulls to prevent an aerated flow of water from flowing across the face of the transducer. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. I would tend to favor a product which supported use of a CPT-S thru-hull transducer for this application (ex. Axiom DV MFD, eSx8 MFD, or ax8 MFD).
Thank you Sir for your learned insight..... If I may Ill pose another question of two.

1) Can you please suggest an IN HULL transducer for my DF 7 Pro - Id prefer not to use a Thru Hull.

I understand the fact that it would difficult for Raymarine to suggest to use a transom mount trans for any other purpose than it intended use.

And as Raymarine has no control nor specified instructions on installing the DF7 trans as a thru hull I take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for this install as to its functionability.

2) Can the DF transom trans double as a thru hull ???
Timothy,

Q1) Can you please suggest an IN HULL transducer for my DF 7 Pro - Id prefer not to use a Thru Hull.

I understand the fact that it would difficult for Raymarine to suggest to use a transom mount trans for any other purpose than it intended use.

And as Raymarine has no control nor specified instructions on installing the DF7 trans as a thru hull I take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for this install as to its functionability.

A1) Unlike traditional fishfinders using 50/200 kHz fishfinder transducers, the Dragonfly display transmit with much lower power. The lower power output may prevent sufficient energy to be passed through the hull for CHIRP(Conical) / DownVision transducers to receive sufficient sonar signal to function properly. While some have experimented with epoxying CHIRP(Conical) / DownVision transducers inside of hulls, the fishfinder performance has varied.

Q2) Can the DF transom trans double as a thru hull ???
A2) See the response to Q1.
Reference URL's