Raymarine forum

Full Version: ST40 Wind Instrument, Align Transducer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am lost as to what I am looking for when I align the transducer on my ST40 Wind Instrument. The set-up shows me how to do it, but doesn't explain what I am looking for to see if it needs any adjustment. It makes some sense that if I am headed directly into the wind, and the heading on the ST44 Wind Instrument doesn't match the heading on my compass, I could adjust the ST40 to match the compass. Is that how I determine if the transducer needs any adjustment? Is the compass (I assume it's a fluxgate) in the ST40 fairly accurate without any adjustment? Thanks for any help or information.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Boatzguy,

The ST40/i40 Wind Instruments were designed to supply apparent wind direction and apparent wind speed data. The ST40/i40 Wind Instruments were designed to be installed and used on power driven vessels. When steering directly into the wind, a properly calibrated ST40 Wind Instrument will report 000 for the apparent wind direction. Should the ST40 Wind Instrument report a value other than 000 when steered into the wind, then it will need to be adjusted. The ST40/i40 Wind Instrument will also calculate and report True Wind if interfaced to a SeaTalk bus to which a source of calibrated speed through water (not to be confused with GPS SOG) and heading (not to be confused with GPS COG) data.
Reference URL's