Raymarine forum

Full Version: AIS650 NMEA outpout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an AIS650 which is about to be installed and would be connected to my MFD and Ray 260 Vhf via stng.

My question is could I connect the nmea output wires on the power cord of the AIS650 to supply lat and long from the AIS antenna to the DSC function on my Icom 802 ssb radio.

I believe the Icom radio will only accept a sentence from a dedicated $GPS$ versus the signal from the RS130 / RS150 which is supplied to my E series MFD which in turns supplies a sentence which the ICom does not accept .

I hope this might work versus the purchase of a third GPS receiver.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum David,

Please specify the exact model of MFD owned.
e97 at helm and a c95 at the nav station ( repeater )
David,

The AIS650 is not designed to function as a SeaTalkng to NMEA 0183 data bridge. Should the MFDs not be interfaced to an external GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 130/150, etc.), then the internal GPS sensor of one of the MFDs would be functioning as the system's source of GPS data. In such a case, the NMEA 0183 output leads of one the MFD whose GPS sensor is in use may be interfaced to the DSC VHF radio. However, should the MFDs be interfaced to an external GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 130/150, etc.), then the internal GPS sensor of one of the MFDs would typically not be functioning as the system's source of GPS data. In the case of the latter, an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter KitE70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit would be installed as a backbone component to supply the DSC VHF Radio or SSB with GPS data.
Reference URL's