Raymarine forum

Full Version: Rudder reversed / heading inaccurate / pilot veers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First let me apologize for my keyboard. My zero key has stopped working, so I'm forced to use an O in place of my zero. I have an e95 chart plotter, i7O, p7O, EV-1, EV-4OO autopilot, iTC-5, ST-6O, and Airmar speed and depth transducers. My electronics package was installed (or he had it installed, not sure] by the previous owner in 2o15. It was a brokered sale and I never met the previous owner. After purchase I discovered that there were tons of little issues with the electronics not quite working right. The autopilot would randomly make unexpected turns. The heading is always around 2o degrees off from what my compass says. The boat on the chart plotter display doesn't point in the direction I'm traveling, but I'm guessing off about the same degrees as the heading is from the compass, so as a result the chart plotter shows the boat going slightly sideways through the water. Last Saturday my software updated for my autopilot, and after it restarted the rudder sensor was reversed. Some times my heading reading is different on my e95 and my p7O, although that one hasn't happened lately. I thought my heading and random turn issues might have been due to the fact that the EV-1 was mounted with my compass 6 inches on one side, and a 6x9 speaker with large magnet 1.5 feet on the other side, so I bought a longer spur cable and moved it so it is more than 3 feet from anything magnetic, but the issues are still the same.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jeff,

As you appear to have at least begun to correctly address the reported equipment issues. The first step within resolving the reported autopilot issues is to ensure that the software within each of the products having a SeaTalkng communications interface have been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the actions to be taken after updating the autopilot's software. Care should be taken to ensure that following execution of the Dockside Wizard, that the rudder bar responds correctly to rotation of the vessel's wheel. If not, then the transducer leads are reversed for the orientation of the rudder reference transducer.

To correct this condition, the autopilot calibration lock may be configured OFF to then permit commanding Reverse Rudder Ref. (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->DRIVE SETTINGS->REVERSE RUDDER REF.). Alternatively and better yet, the red and green rudder reference transducer lead connections to the ACU may be swapped. Of these two options, the latter is recommended to eliminate any future confusion with the rudder. Afterwards, a cruise to permit the autopilot to determine the deviation sensed within the area of the EV-1 CCU. If greater than 10 degrees, then it is recommended that the EV-1 CCU be relocated. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject and including tools to aid in locating the EV-1 CCU.

Evolution autopilots are quite dependent on accurate speed through water or SOG data to correctly operate. Inaccurate speed through water or SOG data can cause the autopilot to act in an erratic / oscillating manner. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
Thanks for the pointers / info Chuck. I was wondering if I could reverse the rudder angle sensor by swapping wires, but I dismissed it because it seems like nothing is that easy. I was looking at reinstalling the sensor so it was rotated 180° for the same reason you say I should reverse it by swapping wires. I'm headed to the boat tonight to do some work. I'll swap the wires and redo the dockside setup while I'm there. I won't be able to take it out for a test spin, but it will at least be a step in the right direction. All my software was up to date as of Labor Day, but I'll check for any new updates when I'm there tonight.
You're welcome.
I swapped the red and green wires, and that fixed the reversed rudder reading, and redid the dockside wizard. My offset is -3. Next sail probably won't be for a month or so, so we'll have to see how it does then. How is heading calculated. If I'm sitting at the dock, then should my heading and compass be the same? In the screen that shows the offset it said my magnetic reading is 149°, but then it says my heading is 162° even though I'm sitting still.
Jeff,

If will not be possible for the autopilot to accurately report heading until the vessel has been taken out for the brief cruise to determine the sensed deviation at all headings detailed within the previously referenced FAQ. Following the cruise, the reported heading should be fairly close to the actual heading if the EV-1 CCU has not been installed in a location of excessively strong magnetic deviation field and has been installed with its indexing arrow oriented parallel to the vessel's centerline and pointing forward.

Further adjustments to the reported heading value may then be performed using the Align Compass (to) GPS (COG) feature (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION COMMISSIONING->ALIGN COMPASS GPS) if the vessel is underway, making way on a steady heading, and not operating under the influence of leeway. Alternatively, the heading may be adjusted to match the expected bearing for a set of land based range markers or to that the vessels fluid filled compass (if it has been properly calibrated ... don't assume that this has been done by the manufacturer). Up to 9.9 degrees of offset may be configured via the Compass Offset feature (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->VESSEL SETTINGS->COMPASS OFFSET.
Thanks! I've never dealt with a marine electronics system like this before, so the learning curve has been steep. My last boat had a little Lowrance mk4 HDI fish finder / plotter and that is the extent of my marine electronics experience. I was able to get my st-60 installed and working, and my speed and water temp working, but all these issues really have me scratching my head. Thanks for the help, I'll check back in after the next time I can take the boat out.
You're welcome.
Reference URL's