Raymarine forum

Full Version: AXIOM 9 NETWORKING
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings, I purchased and installed a new Axiom 9" MFD with Real Vision 3D sonar and Navionic+ charts this past July and I'm very happy with it. This unit replaced 1 of 2 older Raymarine RL70 type displays for 2005 vintage Raymarine open array radar and gps/chart plotter. I used this Axiom 9 as a stand alone GPS chart plotter for the rest of the boating season, as I did not install a RV 3D transducer and I did not try to network it with the older Raymarine electronics.

I will be updating the rest of my electronics over the winter and spring months. I recently purchased a new 48" open array SHD radar system and RV-200 3D transducer, and I plan to install those systems over the winter. I plan to purchase another Axiom 9 MFD, a GPS receiver/antenna, and perhaps a new VHF DSC radio this Fall as well to take advantage of the Fall sales promotion. I have a few questions regarding the second Axiom 9 and the best networking option before I make my next purchases:

1) Regarding the new (second) Axion 9...will there be an issue if I purchase this second Axiom 9 unit without the RV 3D sonar feature and with the Raymarine Lighthouse charts, such as:
1a) Will I be able to view the Navionics charts on one screen and Lighthouse charts on the other screen simulatanteously if the Axiom's are networked?
1b) Will I be able to view Navionics charts on the Lighthouse based unit and/or the Lighthouse charts on the Navionics based unit?
1c) Will I be able to view the RV 3D images on the both screens/units, even the Axiom unit that does not have the RV feature?

2) Regarding networking....what is the cleanest, simplest way to network the two Axiom 9's (one unit will have the RV-200 transducer hooked to it), the open array SHD radar and the VHF DSC radio? (i.e. Do I "dedicate/hook" one Axiom to depth/sonar and the dedicate/hook the other Axiom to radar and network the two Axiom's, or, do I hook all units, except the RV-200 transducer, to a Seatalk network or NMEA200 network? If the Seatalk or NMEA network is the preferred method, what's the best network and best way to do this?)

Thank you in advance for the help.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Lazlukacs,

1) Regarding the new (second) Axion 9...will there be an issue if I purchase this second Axiom 9 unit without the RV 3D sonar feature and with the Raymarine Lighthouse charts, such as:
Q1a) Will I be able to view the Navionics charts on one screen and Lighthouse charts on the other screen simulatanteously if the Axiom's are networked?
A1a) Yes, as long as both MFDs are switched ON and both have been networked via Ethernet (RayNet). The MFDs are designed to share all supported system data and resources. As such, either networked MFD will have access not only to the cartography within its own reader, but also to that with the readers of the other networked MFDs. This would permit any of the networked MFDs to display any or all of the available types of cartography simultaneously within multiple Chart application panes.

Q1b) Will I be able to view Navionics charts on the Lighthouse based unit and/or the Lighthouse charts on the Navionics based unit?
A1b) Yes ... see the response to Q1a.

A1c) Will I be able to view the RV 3D images on the both screens/units, even the Axiom unit that does not have the RV feature?
A1c) Yes, as long as the Axiom RV MFD is switched ON and both have been networked via Ethernet (RayNet).

Q2) Regarding networking....what is the cleanest, simplest way to network the two Axiom 9's (one unit will have the RV-200 transducer hooked to it), the open array SHD radar and the VHF DSC radio? (i.e. Do I "dedicate/hook" one Axiom to depth/sonar and the dedicate/hook the other Axiom to radar and network the two Axiom's, or, do I hook all units, except the RV-200 transducer, to a Seatalk network or NMEA200 network? If the Seatalk or NMEA network is the preferred method, what's the best network and best way to do this?)
A2) The Axiom RV MFDs and radar transducer (not required for Quantum radomes) will each be interfaced to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. The Data Master MFD alone will be interfaced as a spur to powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the DSC radio supporting SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications will also be interfaced as a spur. SeaTalkng networking components are recommended for use in creating the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 network. Adapters are available for devices having DeviceNet Micro-C plugs instead of SeaTalkng spur plugs.
Chuck, thank you for the quick and thorough response. I will digest this and come back with any further questions. Best Regards....
You're welcome.
Greetings,
I took some time away from this project and recently returned to it. After further review I have some confusion as to powering the different devices and the best way to assemble/connect the network. Thank you in advance for your help with this.

For the purpose of reducing the size of this post and my typing, when I say:
- "direct power", I mean to say, "powering this device by connecting it directly to my boats 12 volt DC power distribution system with appropriate fuses, breakers, etc."
- "network power", I mean to say, "powering this device by connecting it to a properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone connector."

Below is a listing of my devices and my current understanding of how to power them, followed by the answer to my previous networking question. Please review and correct as needed:

- Axiom 9 RV MFD, with RV-200 Bronz 3D Transducer: direct power?
- Axion 9 MFD: network power?
- 48" Open Array SHD Color Radar: direct power?
- Ray60 VHS Radio: network power?
- RS150 GPS Antenna: network power?
- HS5 RayNet Network Switch: direct power?
- A06064: SeaTalkng 5-way Connector: direct power?
Q1. Please review and correct as needed:
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q1a - Axiom 9 RV MFD, with RV-200 Bronz 3D Transducer: direct power?
A1a - Correct
Q1b Axion 9 MFD: network power?
A1b - Incorrect ... all MFDs must utilize direct power
Q1c - 48" Open Array SHD Color Radar: direct power?
A1c - Correct
Q1d - Ray60 VHS Radio: network power?
A1d - Incorrect
Q1e - RS150 GPS Antenna: network power?
A1e - Correct
Q1f - HS5 RayNet Network Switch: direct power?
A1f - Correct
Q1g - A06064: SeaTalkng 5-way Connector: direct power?
A1g - Correct
Chuck,

Thank you for the response. It's very helpful and clears up most of my confusion. I reviewed the linked "installing power curuits for marine electronics" post that you suggested both before I submitted my last post and after reading your latest response. That was/is a very helpful post. Thank you.

I have an additional set of questions regarding the Axiom 9 MFD's since I have two different types, as well as the other devices I plan to connect. Based on your power connection response and the way I interpret your guidance in your 10-06-2017 response to me, I have four questions:

1) I should connect the direct powered Axiom 9 RV MFD, with the RV-200 3D transducer and the 48" Open Array SHD Color Radar to the direct powered HS5 Network Switch and connect the direct powered HS5 Network Switch to the direct powered SeaTalkng 5-way Connector, correct?

2) I should connect the direct powered Axiom 9 MFD to the direct powered SeaTalkng 5-way Connector, correct?

3) I should connect the direct powered Ray60 VHS Radio to the direct powered SeaTalkng 5-way connector, correct?

4) I should connect the network powered RS150 GPS Antenna to the direct powered SeaTalkng 5-way connector, correct?

Thank you once again for the help.
Q1) I should connect the direct powered Axiom 9 RV MFD, with the RV-200 3D transducer and the 48" Open Array SHD Color Radar to the direct powered HS5 Network Switch and connect the direct powered HS5 Network Switch to the direct powered SeaTalkng 5-way Connector, correct?
A1) The direct powered Axiom MFD(s) will each be interfaced to the direct powered HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. It is recommended that the HS5 RayNet Network Switch be powered from the same circuit which is supplying power to the MFD(s). The direct powered radar transducer will be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of Digital Radar Cable.

The SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector will not be connected to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Your system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will require four spur sockets to support interfacing the Data Master MFD, Raystar 150 GPS Sensor, Ray60, and SeaTalkng Power Cable to the backbone. The Raystar 150 GPS Sensor's Cable and SeaTalkng Power Cable will each be connected to a spur socket within the backbone. The Data Master MFD will be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone via an appropriate length of DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Cable.
Ray60 will be connected to a spur socket within the backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable.

Q2) I should connect the direct powered Axiom 9 MFD to the direct powered SeaTalkng 5-way Connector, correct?
A2) Partially correct ... see the response to Q1 as four SeaTalkng spur sockets are required for the devices which you have listed.

Q3) I should connect the direct powered Ray60 VHS Radio to the direct powered SeaTalkng 5-way connector, correct?
A3) Partially correct ... see the response to Q1 as four SeaTalkng spur sockets are required for the devices which you have listed.

Q4) I should connect the network powered RS150 GPS Antenna to the direct powered SeaTalkng 5-way connector, correct?
A4) Partially correct ... see the response to Q1 as four SeaTalkng spur sockets are required for the devices which you have listed.
Chuck, thank you for your help and patience. You have been very helpful to me as I think through this project and lay-out.
You're welcome.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's