Raymarine forum

Full Version: i50/i60 Network Connections
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm replacing old Datamarine instruments with the i50/i60 package and an i70 (bulkhead has four holes). The manual shows transducer pods but from what I can see online, the current practice is a direct connection to the instruments, or an ITC-5. Direct is fine, there are already cables from the current transducers. Let me know if that's incorrect.

I also have an older but serviceable belowdeck S1G with a ST6001 controller that I would like integrated into the network.

I found the attached diagram from a 2013 message that I'm using as my basic design - let me know if its appropriate for what I'm trying to do.

A few questions
- will the rudder sensor and fluxgate compass info be repeated to the i70?

- Will the pilot be able to use data from the i60/wind transducer to sail by the wind?

- I would also like to put an expansion capability to add an MFD at the wheel next year - where would I put in that connector?

- The diagram shows a three way connector on the ST side of the network, but I haven't seen that part anywhere. Is there a number?

- The diagram shows power for the whole network coming off of the SmartPilot - is that they way it should work?

- The diagram shows the i60 on the Seatalk side of the network, connected with Seatalk to Seatalk adaptor cables. Why isn't it connected to the other instruments with a Seatalkng cable, with just one adapter cable as opposed to two?

Thank you for your assistance and any help/tips.
The i50/i60 instrument displays should be connected directly to the transducers if you want calibration or adjustment capabilities. If you connect to the iTC-5 the i50/i60 display will only be repeaters of the data.

Yes, following the below diagram will work, what you are doing to connecting the i50/i60 and i70 instrument displays using the Seatalk 1 bus. Keep in mind the new instrument displays are Seatalk NG (NMEA 2000) but can work on the Seatalk 1 interface, but NOT both.

Yes, connected this way you will see repeated compass and rudder reference data from the S1G course computer on the i70 display.

Yes, the autopilot will also be able to see the instrument data, and be able to use the wind data, for wind mode.

Adding the new MFD and autopilot will cause a complete wiring change, because the new equipment like the i50/i60 and i70 instrument displays are using the newest Seatalk NG/ NMEA 2000 interface. What I recommend to users like yourself, where you plan on future upgrades to the system on this particular vessel, that you install the new equipment using the Seatalk NG backbone and connect the S1G and ST6001 autopilot via a Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter. This will allow the same communication above with the compass and rudder data on the new instruments and the autopilot using the instrument data, but also setting the ground work of the wiring to then easily add the newer MFD and autopilot into the system in the future.
(03-22-16 10:23 AM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote: [ -> ]The i50/i60 instrument displays should be connected directly to the transducers if you want calibration or adjustment capabilities. If you connect to the iTC-5 the i50/i60 display will only be repeaters of the data.

Yes, following the below diagram will work, what you are doing to connecting the i50/i60 and i70 instrument displays using the Seatalk 1 bus. Keep in mind the new instrument displays are Seatalk NG (NMEA 2000) but can work on the Seatalk 1 interface, but NOT both.

Yes, connected this way you will see repeated compass and rudder reference data from the S1G course computer on the i70 display.

Yes, the autopilot will also be able to see the instrument data, and be able to use the wind data, for wind mode.

Adding the new MFD and autopilot will cause a complete wiring change, because the new equipment like the i50/i60 and i70 instrument displays are using the newest Seatalk NG/ NMEA 2000 interface. What I recommend to users like yourself, where you plan on future upgrades to the system on this particular vessel, that you install the new equipment using the Seatalk NG backbone and connect the S1G and ST6001 autopilot via a Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter. This will allow the same communication above with the compass and rudder data on the new instruments and the autopilot using the instrument data, but also setting the ground work of the wiring to then easily add the newer MFD and autopilot into the system in the future.

Thank you I understand and will go that way - I see a related diagram (4.4) in the converter manual that I'll use.

One last question - since the S1G is receiving the 12V, will it provide current to the ST/STng network via the converter? I recall seeing that the network can have only one power source.
The S1G does provide power on Seatalk, so you will keep the power input to the course computer, but when connecting to the Seatalk to Seatalk NG convert you will not connect the Red wire of Seatalk three wire interface, you would only connect the Yellow and Shield (bare). The power should be coming from the Seatalk NG backbone, and not the other way around, this would cause data transfer issues with component back feeding power to the backbone.
(03-23-16 08:49 AM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote: [ -> ]The S1G does provide power on Seatalk, so you will keep the power input to the course computer, but when connecting to the Seatalk to Seatalk NG convert you will not connect the Red wire of Seatalk three wire interface, you would only connect the Yellow and Shield (bare). The power should be coming from the Seatalk NG backbone, and not the other way around, this would cause data transfer issues with component back feeding power to the backbone.

So just to be clear, and to keep me from having to order another cable, I'll cut the seatalkng plug end off of the seatalk to seatalkng converter cable, exposing three wires, and connect to the S1G as above?
I think you meant the Seatalk three [censored] flat plug, on the Seatalk to Seatalk NG adapter cable. Yes, the three wires of Seatalk Red, Yellow and Shield (bare) will be within, just connect the Yellow and Shield to the Seatalk port on the S1G, leaving off the Red wire, in order to guard against back feeding voltage to the Seatalk NG backbone.
(03-24-16 08:44 AM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote: [ -> ]I think you meant the Seatalk three [censored] flat plug, on the Seatalk to Seatalk NG adapter cable. Yes, the three wires of Seatalk Red, Yellow and Shield (bare) will be within, just connect the Yellow and Shield to the Seatalk port on the S1G, leaving off the Red wire, in order to guard against back feeding voltage to the Seatalk NG backbone.

Related question. The S1G has two seatalkng ports. As I have a remote in one and the control head in the other, can I put more than one in one of the ports. In other words can I as the yellow and bare wire on top of the remorse wires?

Thanks.
Just to be clear, the S1G does not have any Seatalk NG ports, and has two Seatalk ports.

It isn't recommended to put more Seatalk connections into the S1G course computer ports, the terminal strip isn't designed for multiple connections. Seatalk is a bi-directional interface so you can put more Seatalk connection on top of one another. We recommend you bring multiple connections to a terminal strip, which is designed for more connections and you can clearly see good connection, then a single connection to the S1G Seatalk ports.
Reference URL's