Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA] multiple MFDs wiring
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i recently got a 4kw HD color radar setup that was used. it has two MFDs model E95 and E125. ive tried to make sense of how they had it wired but it doesn't make sense with what the online manual says. they had a raynet cable joining the two MFDs, but in the middle of the raynet cable four wires, the oranges and greens where spliced off to the dome. further wiring has the STNG cable, one short spur cable that was attached to the E95, to a backbone T, then the other cable from the t was a backbone cable which ran to the second MFD, third output of the backbone T is a cable terminator. its a interesting setup that was installed on a submarine but stopped working (turned out to be several broken wires which have been fixed), hence weird wiring. it had a single military style connector by the E95 and where the dome was. so currently I have the E125 wired to the dome via raynet. my question is do I need to connect the e95 and e125 via spurs to a backbone, or can I used a second raynet to get the two units sharing the radar data? I tried using the short STNG to connect the two MFDs on the bench. but they kept freaking out who was master and would not accept me setting either as master on both MFDs and would keep popping up master errors. I also noted that if the two MFDs were attached via the spliced raynet, the dome was not found. but one raynet to the dome was fine on either MFD. long question short. pair the two MFDs via raynet or spurs to backbone? either case I have to buy the cable. running a spur to the dome is out of the question since the dome has been hardwired past the dome connector.
one last thought. I had a dragonfly before this. is there a way to connect the dragonfly transducer to the MFDs?? I am comfortable with splicing the wiring if need be. just cant seem to find info on transducer wiring to work with the e95/e125.
any help is appreciated!
thanks,
STS2(SS) Worthington, active duty USN
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum worthidc,

Comment regarding the Ethernet networking: What you have described would in no way be supported and I find it hard to imagine that it should work. Each MFD features a pair of Ethernet communications ports. This will permit the MFDs to be interfaced to up to two additional compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interface without having to include a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. While the two MFDs may be joined to one another via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable, the Digital Radar Cable would need to be interfaced to the remaining Ethernet Network poor of either of the MFDs. Each MFD must also be at the same software level ... v19.03 recommended for a/c/e-Series MFDs.

Q1. Do I need to connect the e95 and e125 via spurs to a backbone, or can I used a second raynet to get the two units sharing the radar data?
A1. Only the Data Master MFD will typically be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Radar imagery, sonar imagery, cartography, and other high bandwidth data are not communicated within the system via SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000. Instead, this and all other data from the SeaTalkng backbone is shared with the non-Data Master MFDs within the system via Ethernet communications with the Data Master MFD. See the response to Q1.

Q2. I had a dragonfly before this. is there a way to connect the dragonfly transducer to the MFDs??
A2. Negative. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing splicing of fishfinder transducer cables. Additionally, neither of the specified MFDs has internal high CHIRP sonar / DownVision fishfinder circuitry within it.
Reference URL's