Raymarine forum

Full Version: ST 50+ Tridata
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.
Over the last couple of years our speed sensor works at the beginning of the season, but gradually works less and less as the season progresses. My local Raymarine dealer (Binnacle.ca) has a complete transducer as well as the paddlewheel kit.
(http://ca.binnacle.com/product_info.php?..._id=7509).
My question is: Would the kit likely solve the problem or would transducer replacement be the best bet in your opinion?
Thank You
-Steve
I have enclosed a speed transducer test. This will determine if there is an issue with the transducer. Is the transducer cleaned through out the year? Is the paddlewheel covered in debris when cleaned?

Testing the Speed Sensor:

Verify that the transducer’s paddle wheel is free of marine growth and rotates freely on its shaft
Power down the instrument
Disconnect the GREEN and SHIELD transducer leads from the instrument display or instrument pod.
Connect a multimeter to the GREEN and SHIELD transducer leads and configure the multimeter to measure continuity or resistance.
Slowly rotate the transducer paddle wheel by hand. Note that as the paddlewheel is rotated, the multimeter should alternate between an open circuit and a closed circuit with each quarter turn. As such one complete revolution of the paddle wheel should open and close the circuit four times.

Should the multimeter respond as indicated above, then the speed sensor element of the transducer would be deemed functional. If not, then the transducer has failed and should be replaced.
Thank you for enclosing the transducer test.
We routinely pull the 'ducer to check for debris, sea grapes and the like. There is never any fouling of the paddlewheel.

I'll cut the transducer lead and get back to you, unless you happen to know the pin-outs of the cable. (It's a plug connector on the ST50+)
Thank You.
Unfortunately not. Let us know the outcome.
Ok Steve, bit the bullet and replaced the transducer (ST800). Couldn't have been easier, splice color for color, done.

For those that MIGHT need the information on pin-outs for the Tridata ST50+, looking at the cable end where it plugs into the head and semicircle HIGH in the middle, the assignments are red, shield, green, brown and white.

Just for fun I removed the paddlewheel from the new transducer and installed it in the old one. Worked perfectly but I sure wasn't about to drive three hours total to save $70. Have the old transducer as a spare.

A little more waxing and we're ready to launch this week.

(EDIT)
Launched and took a small tour. Speed is fine, sea temperature works. (although I wish it didn't... 13C.)

Have a great weekend all!
aloha27,

Thanks for sharing your successful results.
"For those that MIGHT need the information on pin-outs for the Tridata ST50+, looking at the cable end where it plugs into the head and semicircle HIGH in the middle, the assignments are red, shield, green, brown and white."

Just to clarify: So "semicircle HIGH" would put it at 12 o'clock and the assignments are clockwise.....red at 1 o'clock, shield at 2 o'clock, etc.

Is this correct or is it some other configuration?

Trying to do testing without destroying cables......ST50Plus.

Many thanks for your help.

Bones
gerald-dibona@uiowa.edu
With the face of the transducer's plug facing you and oriented such that its keyway is located in the 12 o'clock position, the following (in clockwise order) are the pin number / lead color / definition for a speed/temp transducer designed for use with the ST50/ST50+ Instruments:
1: red - 5 Volt
2: screen - 0 Volt
3: green - Log Pulse
4: yellow - Temp 1
5: blue - Temp 2
Chuck, Many thanks for this.....have been searching for quite a while!

Bones
You're welcome.
Reference URL's