Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] what sonar mod do I need?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a customer who bought a used system and asked me to install it for him, installed a used c80 and a new p97 transducer but I think he has the wrong sonar module, he got a 250dsm with the 3 pin talk cable but it wont match up with the c80 or transducer, what do I need to get this working??? , also need a gps antenna, he gas a garmin on the boat and thought it would work with the ray marine unit.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum gabilgerat,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how fishfinder features may be added to a C-Series Classic MFD.

Please note that Raymarine has produced no transducer having the product name p97 and that I suspect that the transducer may actually be a P79 transducer. The P79 Transducer is the name applied to a family of transducers manufactured by Airmar, Inc. for Raymarine and other marine electronics manufacturers. This transducer is manufactured in a number of variations based upon the manufacturer and model of fishfinder or instrument which the transducer will be interfaced to. If seeking a P79 Fishfinder Transducer for a DSM250, DSM30, or DSM300, then the E66008 Raymarine P79 In-Hull Fishfinder Transducer would be recommended.

Should the third party GPS antenna which you are referenced actually be a GPS sensor supporting 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications, then it may be possible to interface the GPS sensor to a DC power source and then interface its NMEA 0183 output leads to the R08004 5-Way NMEA 0183 Cable originally packaged with the C-Series Classic MFD. If not, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a Raymarine Raystar 150 GPS Sensor may be interfaced to a C-Series Classic MFD.
thanks, the transducer is a p79 , part# A80170, he was told by someone at ray marine technical support that it was what he needed , unfortunally after installation we discovered it will not plug into the dsm250
gabilgerat,

It is recommended that the P79 transducer which you have purchased be returned and that the version of the P79 transducer specified within my prior response be purchased for use with a DSM250.
Thanks, unfortunately the detailer he hired to clean the boat thru the box and paperwork away .
I also need to know what communication /talk cable to get for the DSM250 to the c80, I have a 3pin interconnect cable E65009 and the 250 has a flat 3 pin connector wire plugged into the unit , it has open ended wires on the end , these were giving to him by the seller
gabilgerat,

Please refer to the FAQ which I referenced within my initial response to this thread. As indicated within that FAQ, you will need to purchase / order an appropriate length of hsb cable (features a triangular shaped 3-pin plug on each end) from an authorized Raymarine dealer. This cable will be used in conjunction with the 4-Pin to 3-Pin Adapter which you have referenced.
thanks Chuck, I now have the appropriate transducer and cords.
You're welcome.
Reference URL's