Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Transducer Replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello -

Have a systems with e125,I70, P70, evolution auto, and all analog transducers (wind, speed/temp, and depth) connected to an ITC-5.

This 43' sailboat is current out of the water for some work, and I need to make a decision on replacing the depth transducers, as it is randomly zeroing out at all depths. Works well for a period of time and then starts this behavior again. All ITC-5 connections are in accordance with the manual and are solid, thus I am thinking the issue is either the transducer or ITC-5.

Since I already have 2 holes in the boat for transducers (depth & speed/temp), I need to decide between replacing the depth transducer with just depth or a SMART DST800. Couple of questions:
1) Performance - does depth reading performance (depth only, no fishfinder) differ between the SMART DST800 and the traditional D800?
2) SMART DST800 - what is the cable length? Cannot seem to find that in any of the specifications.
3) If I keep the current analog speed/temp as a backup and install a SMART DST800, I would like to verify that I can keep both hooked up and select the data source through the I70 or e125.

Thanks!
Q1. Performance - does depth reading performance (depth only, no fishfinder) differ between the SMART DST800 and the traditional D800?
A1. While anecdotal, the feedback which we have received is that dedicated instrument depth transducers provide greater performance, possibly due to the physical attribute of not having only half of the depth transducer surface area found in a dedicated thru-hull instrument depth transducer.

Q2. SMART DST800 - what is the cable length? Cannot seem to find that in any of the specifications.
A2. The SMART DST800's cable length is 6m.

Q3. If I keep the current analog speed/temp as a backup and install a SMART DST800, I would like to verify that I can keep both hooked up and select the data source through the I70 or e125.
A3. It is indeed possible to select between speed from an iTC-5 and from a SMART DST800. I would generally recommend that Data Source selection be executed from the MFD.
Chuck we are in the process of replacing ST60+ Speed, Wind and Depth with i70 displays. In discussing with local dealer, Seatrac Marine, question is arising as to whether the new transducer (for speed/depth?) for the i70 displays will fit the current receptacle used for the ST60+ instruments or will have to install a new receptacle while boat is out of water.

Other question - do i need to utilize a new Depth transducer or can I utilize the old ST60+ depth transducer already installed? Thank you for your help.
TIGI,

Depth and speed/temperature transducers which were designed for use with ST60/ST60+ instruments cannot be directly connected to i70/i70S MFIDs. These transducers must be interfaced to an iTC-5 Analog Instrument Transducer Converter which will form part of the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the i70/i70S MFID will be interfaced. With the exception of the B744V/B744VL Instrument depth/speed/temperature transducer, all thru-hull depth and speed/temp instrument transducers which were designed for use with ST40/ST60/ST60+ instruments feature the same 2" shaft as Raymarine's Smart instrument transducers and analog thru-hull depth and speed/temperature which are offered for use with i40/i50 instruments and iTC-5. Should the currently installed depth and speed/temp transducers be operational, then there would be no need to replace them when used with an iTC-5.
Reference URL's