Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Adding a67 MFD to system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently picked up an a67 MFD that I would like to install and integrate into my existing instrumentation package. I. have been researching online and asking local retailers for some advice, but am still uncertain what would be the best method.

Currently, I have ST40 Depth, ST40 Speed, ST60+ Wind , and ST6002 controller head hooked up via Seatalk to an SPX-5 Smart Pilot. The instruments are powered separately from the SPX-5 and I have a separate circuit ready to power the MFD.

I have been told that the SPX-5 will act as a bridge to allow ST1 and STNG components to communicate without the need for a ST1-STNG Converter and system layouts that I have looked at online haven’t really cleared up any of my misconceptions. I do not have any plans to add more instruments in the near future.

What would be the best layout for this assortment of instruments?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tom
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tim,

Early software for the SPX autopilot course computers was quite incomplete with regard to data bridging and did improve a bit with the final software update. It would be considered to be a best installation practice for a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to be installed onboard to interface the MFD to the SPX autopilot course computer. It would be recommended that the ST6xxx autopilot control head be interfaced via a direct SeaTalk connection to the SPX autopilot course computer. The backbone would include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to be used in conjunction with unpowered SeaTalk bus to which links the ST40 and ST60 instruments.

Upon completion of the physical installation it is recommended that the MFD, SPX autopilot course computer, and SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter each be updated with the latest available software.
Diagram attached shows what I will be installing with your suggestion of attaching the ST6002 controller directly to the ST1 terminals on the SPX with power coming from the SPX.

Thanks for the help Chuck.
waXrules,

Your diagram looks great!
Reference URL's