Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Mechanical Linear drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a St4000 MK2 Wheel pilot. I was wondering if I could connect a Type 1 Mechanical Linear Drive to my ST4000 Corepack computer to replace the wheel drive unit.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Accesspointer,

The ST4000/ST4000+ autopilots were designed to support the following drive units:
- Wheel Drive
- Tiller Drive

The ST5000/ST5000+ Autopilots were designed to support the following drive units:
- Type 1 Linear Drive
- Type 1 Hydraulic Pump

Edited by Derek Moderator
So, having a ST4000 wheelpilot (w/ the wheel drive worn out) and a Type 1 drive - how do I set up the ST4000 to control the Linear 1 drive?
juliethoteloscar,

Updated response

A Type 1 Linear Drive may not be used with a ST4000+ autopilot and owners should not replace wheel drives from such systems with Type 1 Mechanical Linear Drives.
The reason for this is that the drive FETs( the transistors that carry the drive unit current) inside the ST4000 are lower current rated than those in the ST5000+ control unit and will likely blow if the ST4000+ control unit is connected to a T1 12v linear drive.

It is possible that in VERY light winds, FF1-2 the T1 mechanical linear drive might operate due to lower current consumption attributed to lower helm loads, but be aware that the drive FETs will overheat quickly due to the larger current draw from the Linear drive motor and will subsequently fail.

You can of course use a Wheel drive unit from an ST4000 system with an ST5000 control unit, since the lower current of the wheel drive is well within the capability of the St5000 Control unit FETs

Updated by Derek Moderator
Also having a ST4000+ with a worn-out (and to weak) wheeldrive I am as well considering a linear drive. Can you please again verify that the ST4000+ can provide sufficient current for the M81130 and what is the max. current the ST4000+ can provide?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Relax,

Updated response

A Type 1 Linear Drive may not be used with a ST4000+ autopilot and owners should not replace wheel drives from such systems with Type 1 Mechanical Linear Drives.
The reason for this is that the drive FETs( the transistors that carry the drive unit current) inside the ST4000 are lower current rated than those in the ST5000+ control unit and will likely blow if the ST4000+ control unit is connected to a T1 12v linear drive.

It is possible that in VERY light winds, FF1-2 the T1 mechanical linear drive might operate due to lower current consumption attributed to lower helm loads, but be aware that the drive FETs will overheat quickly due to the larger current draw from the Linear drive motor and will subsequently fail.

You can of course use a Wheel drive unit from an ST4000 system with an ST5000 control unit, since the lower current of the wheel drive is well within the capability of the St5000 Control unit FETs

Updated by Derek Moderator
Reference URL's