Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] adding chirp to system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My electronics package includes the following : All Raymarine .. 218VHF > e127> e7> EVO150 AP... ( lighthouse 2) All connected to "talk" to each other.
I would like to add a "chirp" fish finder ..
I know I can add a chirp module to the system . I was browsing the RM site and saw a refurbished es78 for sale.. Could I replace my flush mounted s7 with this es78 and accomplish the same as adding a chirp module ? In either case would I be able to "see both" types of sonar. Would I need an additional transducer ? Lastly, would the es78 communicate with the rest of the system ?

Thank you in advance ...Tony T
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tony T,

What is the maximum depth of the water which you expect to fish?
Hi Chuck ...normally less than 150 feet... what are the pros and cons .. what if i went deeper .. my small MFD unit is an e7 not an s7 (typo in original message)
Rigth now my sonar capabilities are thru the e127 MFD

Thanks
Tony,

Replacing the e7 MFD with an eS78 MFD and a compatible DownVision transducer (supports high CHIRP and DownVision sonar imaging) or CPT-S transducer (high CHIRP only) would indeed add CHIRP sonar capability to your system and should support operating in the maximum depth (600') specified. As the system already features a 50kHz/200kHz transducer, the proposed system would support four channels of sonar imaging (ClearPulse 50kHz, ClearPulse 200kHz, high CHIRP (SONAR), and DownVision) if the e7 MFD is replaced with an eS78 MFD and compatible DownVision transducer. Alternatively the proposed system would support three channels of sonar imaging (ClearPulse 50kHz, ClearPulse 200kHz, and high CHIRP (SONAR)) if the e7 MFD is replaced with an eS78 MFD and CPT-S transducer.
Thanks Chuck .... maybe I am having brain freeze.. I do not see the difference in the ALTERNATIVE... both scenarios state replace the e7 with an es78 and both a CPT-S transducer..

an additional question is would there be any advantage to keeping the e7 and adding a chirp module.. I guess I am asking if the chirp module (cp100) is the same component within the es78 ?

Thanks .. much appreciated
Tonyt
Tony,

Q1. both scenarios state replace the e7 with an es78 and both a CPT-S transducer.
A1. Incorrect. The first scenario included a DownVision transducer and the second scenario included a CPT-S transducer.

Q2. would there be any advantage to keeping the e7 and adding a chirp module.. I guess I am asking if the chirp module (cp100) is the same component within the es78?
A2. There has been some feedback that the CP100 DownVision Sonar Module provides cleaner (less noisy) sonar imaging than that of ax8 MFDs and eSx8 MFDs having embedded DownVision sonar circuity. Using a CP100 may also offer some cost savings, provide a more modular solution, provide an easier installation (particularly if the e7 MFD is presently flush mounted and/or interfaced to a NMEA 0183 device), as well as permit you to have two displays having HybridTouch interfaces.
Thank you ... is down vision and chirp the same ??

Tony t
Tony,

DownVision employs CHIRP sonar technology, but uses a very narrow fore/aft beam to produce clearer structure images. High (frequency) CHIRP and 1kW CHIRP feature conical beams better suited to located fish because the beam is conical rather than narrow as with DownVision. DownVision transducers support both DownVision sonar imaging and high (frequency) CHIRP sonar imaging. Please click here to view a thread in which is compare the imagery produced ClearPulse, high CHIRP, and SideVision sonar imaging.
Your The MAN !!!! thanks \

Tony t
You're welcome.
Reference URL's