Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Axiom 12 3D Vision goes sideways
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've installed an Axiom 12 and RV212 transducers. There are numerous problems with it:

With the AHRS on, the bottom appears to spin in circles if you are moving.

With the AHRS off, the bottom appears to move at about a 45 degree angle to the boat's real motion.

AHRS either on or off, anytime the app is running there is a high probability of a crash and reboot.

The transducers are not mounted as far away from the engine and electrical cables as would be ideal, but this is a boat after all and there aren't that many choices.

The software and firmware are up to date. There is an autopilot networked to the system with heading sensor. There are two GPS units (external and internal to the Axiom) but it makes no difference which one is being used.

Questions: with AHRS off, shouldn't it be using the magnetic heading, or GPS COG to render the boat's motion over the bottom? How can that be 45 deg off? Both work properly in all other applications (chart, radar, etc.). How often does the AHRS need to be recalibrated?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jfitch,

Please attach some screen snapshots of the reported issue. When the RV transducer AHRS is configured OFF, the MFD will utilize GPS COG from the GPS Sensor selected via the MFD's Data Sources feature. What version of software is presently installed within your Axiom Pro MFD? Are you using a Y-Cable with the Axiom RV MFD? Was the equipment installed by yourself or by a Certified Raymarine Installer.
I installed the equipment myself. The boat has been hauled for the season so I can't take a picture or video. It would not be all that interesting, just shows the seabed trailing away at about a 45 degree angle. The Axiom is on the latest software revision (3.7.70). It did the same thing on the prior release. There is a Y cable between the two RV212 transducers. It does the same thing whether the internal or external GPS is being used.

Reseting the transducers has a temporary affect on the AHRS problem, but it seems to go off again in a short time. Nothing has affected the sideways problem (with AHRS off) and this is puzzling. All the other apps know which way the boat is going, the problem is specific to the fishfinder app.
jfitch,

Thanks for the information concerning the Y-Cable. I had assumed that the RV thru-hull Y-Cable had been installed, but was seeking information regarding whether a second RV & 50kHz/200kHz Transducer Y-Cable had been installed. Now that the boat is on the hard, please take photos of the transducer installation from both outside and inside of the hull and attach them to this response. Please additionally specify whether the system had always behaved as reported or whether the skewing symptom began sometime later.
There is no second Y cable. There is another transducer, the original Airmar one connected to an iTC5. I believe I tried disconnecting this without effect.

The boat is now 1000 miles away, I have only this picture from the bottom painting job. The other one is symmetrically opposite. They are clearly marked port and starboard, and FWD. I do not have a picture of the inside. What are we looking for?

The system has misbehaved from new.
jfitch,

The symptoms identified have not been previously reported, making the problem with this system somewhat unique. While the problem may be rooted in the transducer(s), it may be also indicative of a fault with the installation or within the MFD's sonar processing circuitry itself. As you have hinted, choice of a location for the transducer with respect to magnetic field sources is important when using the AHRS within a RV transducer. It is certainly possible that the reported image spinning may be caused by such magnetic fields. However, given that you are reporting that the bottom appears to move at about a 45 degree angle to the boat's real motion when the AHRS is OFF would indicate a secondary issue with the elements of the transducer(s) or within the RV sonar processing circuitry of the Axiom RV MFD as the system will revert to COG or orientation of the sonar image

When troubleshooting, one starts with the basics of the installation and environmental factors such as transducers ... nothing may be taken for granted and all must be verified ... hence the requests for very specific items. Regarding additional depth transducer within the system, I had been specifically interested in whether a second fishfinder transducer had been interfaced to the Axiom RV MFD ... this does not appear to be the case. Instrument depth transducers would have not impact upon fishfinder performance. As the boat is quite far away, you may want to consider contacting an Certified Raymarine Installer to visit the vessel to obtain the requested photos, verify correct port/starboard installation as well as correct fore/aft installation, inspect the transducers and its cables for any obvious signs of damage or modification / splicing. Should all appear correct then it would be recommended that the MFD be removed and sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. (as the boat is now on the hard).
Reference URL's