Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Evolution control head question/LH compatibility
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Upgrading my ~2000 vintage autopilot (twin diesel inboard), Current 12v type 1 pump/rudder sensor should be good with new system. New computer ACU-150 or ACU-200, have gs165 with LH3 (for Quantum 2) , which is where the question is...
Website says "Note that your multifunction display must be running Raymarine's LightHouse II software and that some autopilot functionality may not be available if your system does not include a dedicated autopilot control head."

1. Is Evolution really not compatible with LH3? If not, when??
2. What EXACTLY is the autopilot functionality that may not be available if I just go with my MFD to control the ACU and skip a dedicated control head (why waste the space??)

Thanks,
Dave
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

Q1. Is Evolution really not compatible with LH3? If not, when??
A1. It appears that the website may need to be updated with respect MFD support. In fact, Evolution autopilots are compatible with not only MFDs running the latest LightHouse 3 and LightHouse 2 software, but also with Raymarine MFDs and chartplotting products which where being manufactured over the last sixteen+ years (SeaTalk to SeaTalkng or NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 adaptation may have been required for the latter). The Autopilot Controls feature of LightHouse 3 software requires that the MFD be interfaced to an Evolution autopilot.

Q2. What EXACTLY is the autopilot functionality that may not be available if I just go with my MFD to control the ACU and skip a dedicated control head (why waste the space??)
A2. A p70S/p70RS autopilot control head is required to utilize the autopilot's sail to wind and fishing patterns features. That said, it is also considered to be a best installation practice to install an autopilot control head support the quickest execution of autopilot commands and free the portions of the MFD's screen from displaying autopilot controls and messages ... thereby maximizing situational awareness as may be supported by the other information displayed on the MFD's screen.
Reference URL's