Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Upgrade options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Our used Seawind 1160 catamaran was well equipped with Raymarine systems when it was new. The components include the E120 Classic MFD, analog Raydome, ST60 Tridata, ST60 Wind, Autopilot 6002, 300 DSM box, Seatalk HS Network box, Smart Pilot Control Box, and SR 100 Sirius Weather box. I also installed a Standard Horizon AIS enabled VHF to it via the NMEA 0183 system and all worked well.

The backlights went out in the E120 classic, so due to its age, I purchased a new Es78 Hybrid Touch MFD to replace it. I know the analog Radome will not sync with it, but not sure about which way to upgrade using the existing systems. I upgraded a previous boat with ST50 instruments using the Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter to a new E7 Hybrid Touch, and ran the Standard Horizon AIS to interface with it as well.

Given that the new boat has the 300 DSM and Seatalk HS network boxes (the Sirius Weather is not activated), can those networks be used, or should I just do it via the Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter? Enclosed is a rough diagram.

Thanks.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum serenisea,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As specified therein, mating the eS78 MFD to the existing Ethernet devices (DSM300 and SR100) is simply a matter of adapting the SeaTalkhs Cable which is presently connected to E120 MFD. As with the E120 MFD, the VHF radio/AIS receiver may be interfaced to the eS78 MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface ... or may be adapted to be mated to the new system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone (SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter). The remaining items which you have listed may either be adapted via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
Thanks Chuck,
So it looks like I can get the Seatalk HS adapter cable and run the existing network minus radar (probably go Quantum wireless), and I have a couple of ways to hook up the Standard Horizon AIS VHF. Not sure what you are referring to as the "remaining items". Do you mean conversion of the remaining ST60 instruments via the Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter?
serenisea,

Q. Not sure what you are referring to as the "remaining items". Do you mean conversion of the remaining ST60 instruments via the Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter?

A. The ST60 Tridata, ST60 Wind, ST6002 Autopilot Control Head, and possibly the autopilot course computer (model not specified) may be adapted via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit.
One final high level question....it seems that the Seatalk to Seatalk ng converter, and the NMEA 0183 interface deals with data going in and out of the MFD. If I were to convert the Seatalk HS network with the recommended cable, what does that ethernet network do for me? I only have one MFD. I will eventually integrate a quantum radome to get the radar back from analog one. Would that be the reason? Just not sure what the network does.
serenisea,

Only a Data Master MFD may bridge data from a SeaTalk or SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 data source to the Ethernet network ... and that data would only be available to other MFDs which had been interfaced to the Ethernet network. Your system requires an Ethernet network switch because the MFD which is being replaced as well as the MFD which which you will be installing, each feature only one Ethernet communications interface ... and you have three or four devices (MFD, SR100, DSM300, and possibly the radome (depending upon whether you elect a wired or wireless communications interface with the radome)). With the exception of AIS data, any compatible MFD within the system's Ethernet network will bridge data from a NMEA 0183 source to the Ethernet network.
When getting the new quantum radome, I wanted to check how the data hooks up.

On the existing E120 classic, it looks like it is running straight from the Radome to the large plug on the back of the MFD labeled "Radar". The installation manual says it can be done that way or from the Radome into the SeaTalk hs switch.

With the new Es78, I will need to run it through the SeaTalk hs switch. Does the Quantum come with the data cable (or alternatively wireless interface) that fits the older SeaTalk hs switch, or will I need another cable or converter?
serenisea,

Q. Does the Quantum come with the data cable (or alternatively wireless interface) that fits the older SeaTalk hs switch, or will I need another cable or converter?
A. Quantum radomes are available with a Wi-Fi interface only or with a wired & Wi-Fi interface. Suitability of Wi-Fi communications with a Quantum radome are dependent upon the MFD's Wi-Fi signal strength sensed at the intended installation location of the Quantum radome. Quantum radomes are available with or without a data cable. For those seeking a wired installation, I generally recommend that the radome be purchased without a Quantum Data Cable and that the Quantum Power Cable not be used. Instead the Digital Radar Cable (combines power and Data) and an A80308 Quantum Adapter are commonly recommended to permit a single cable to be chased. As Digital Radar Cables are terminated with a RayNet (F) plug, an A80513 RayNet (M) to RJ45 (M) Adaptor Cable will be needed. For more information on this subject, please here.
Thanks Chuck. I see how this is going to integrate. The only thing is that searching for the A80513 Raynet (M) to RJ45 (M), I can't find anyplace in the U.S. that has it. Not even the Raymarine store. Can you make a suggestion where to get it?
serenisea,

Unfortunately, we don't have access to dealer inventories and dealer website may often omit smaller accessories such as these. That said, this part should be capable of being ordered from any authorized Raymarine dealer.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's